Minsky's Analysis, the European Single Currency, and the Global Financial System
AbstractThe paper begins by a brief review of the main ideas associated with Hyman Minsky and their implications for economic policy and the achievement of full employment. There is a focus on the financial instability hypothesis, the role of the central bank as lender of last resort and the requirements for regulation of the financial system. The implications of these ideas for economic policy are then explored at the level of the European Union and the global economy. It is argued that the Minsky analysis would suggest that at the level of the nation state, the general drift of economic policy and changes in institutional arrangements have made the prospects for full employment bleak. For the European Union, the institutions which are emerging in the context of EMU and the euro are considered in terms of their impacts on the level of economic activity. At the global economy level, the paper considers the need for international institutions to regulate the global financial system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Macroeconomics with number 9904003.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 06 Apr 1999
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; prepared on IBM PC; to print on PostScript; pages: 20; figures: included
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
Other versions of this item:
- Malcolm Sawyer, 1999. "Minsky's Analysis, the European Single Currency, and the Global Financial System," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_266, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- E - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hyman P. Minsky & Charles J. Whalen, 1997.
"Economic Insecurity and the Institutional Prerequisites for Successful Capitalism,"
Journal of Post Keynesian Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 19(2), pages 155-170, January.
- Hyman P. Minsky & Charles J. Whalen, 1998. "Economic Insecurity and the Institutional Prerequisites for Successful Capitalism," Macroeconomics 9807001, EconWPA.
- Hyman P. Minsky & Charles J. Whalen, 1996. "Economic Insecurity and the Institutional Prerequisites for Successful Capitalism," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_165, Levy Economics Institute, The.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.