Human capital investments and family composition
AbstractWe explore how human capital investment of a child is affected by the number and the gender of his/her siblings. We test for two alternative explanations : competition for scarce resources versus direct interactions between siblings. We provide an empirical application using Brazilian data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA in its series Research Unit Working Papers with number 0313.
Length: 10 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: INRA-LEA, 48, Boulevard Jourdan, 75014 Paris, France
Phone: 331 43136364
Fax: 331 43136362
Web page: http://www.inra.fr/Internet/Departements/ESR/UR/lea/index.html
Human capital investment; sibling rivalry; child labour;
Other versions of this item:
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
- I29 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Other
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nathalie Picard & François-Charles Wolff, 2010.
"Measuring educational inequalities: a method and an application to Albania,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 989-1023, June.
- Nathalie Picard & François-Charles Wolff, 2007. "Measuring educational inequalities:A method and an application to Albania," THEMA Working Papers 2007-21, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Kelly Jones, 2014.
"Growing Up Together: Cohort Composition and Child Investment,"
Springer, vol. 51(1), pages 229-255, February.
- Jones, Kelly M., 2014. "Growing up together: Cohort composition and child investment," MPRA Paper 55182, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christelle Dumas, 2004. "Impact de la structure familiale sur les décisions parentales de mise au travail des enfants : le cas du Brésil," Revue d’économie du développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 18(1), pages 71-99.
- Mihails Hazans & Ija Trapeznikova, 2006. "Access to Secondary Education in Albania: Incentives, Obstacles, and Policy Spillovers," SSE Riga/BICEPS Research Papers 2006-1, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies (BICEPS) and Stockholm School of Economics in Riga (SSE Riga).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Madeleine Roux) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Madeleine Roux to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.