Unit Roots and the Demand for Cigarettes in Turkey: Pitfalls and Possibilities
AbstractThe partial adjustment model for cigarette demand in Tansel (1993) is formulated as a restriction on the more general VAR model. The question whether the Tansel estimation results are spurious as claimed by Cameron and Collins (1998) is addressed in this framework. The role of intervention dummies and data transformations for the cointegration results is discussed in some detail. Finally, a more general model is estimated and two steady-state relations measuring demand and supply behaviour in the cigarette market are identified.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 01-02.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
Partial Adjustment Models; Cointegrated VAR; Intervention Dummies; Data Transformations; Identification;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
- E3 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-10-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2001-10-22 (European Economics)
- NEP-MIC-2001-10-22 (Microeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Durevall, Dick, 2007. "Demand for coffee in Sweden: The role of prices, preferences and market power," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(5-6), pages 566-584.
- Mustafa Ismihan & Kivilcim Metin-Özcan & Aysit Tansel, 2002.
"Macroeconomic instability, capital accumulation and growth: The case of Turkey 1963-1999,"
ERC Working Papers
0204, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Apr 2002.
- Mustafa Ismihan & Aysit Tansel & Kivilcim Metin-Ozcan, 2002. "Macroeconomic Instability, Capital Accumulation and Growth : The Case of Turkey 1963-1999," Departmental Working Papers 0205, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Mustafa Ismihan & Kivilcim Metin-Ozcan & Aysit Tansel, 2002. "Macroeconomic Instability, Capital Accumulation and Growth: The Case of Turkey 1963-1999," Working Papers 0209, Economic Research Forum, revised Mar 2002.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.