Effects of Ownership on Agglomeration Economies: Evidence from Ukrainian Firm Level Data
AbstractWe use establishment level longitudinal data to estimate agglomeration economies in the Ukraine for machine manufacturing and hi-tech industries. We differentiate state-owned, private-domestic-owned and private-internationally-owned firm types. Our baseline results are comparable to other firm level measures of similar industries and to other research in the former Soviet Union. We find that state owned firms accrue little or no agglomeration benefits, while privately-owned firms are able to take advantage of agglomeration effects. Foreign-owned firms may gain the most from agglomeration. These results suggest that agglomeration economies are typically gained at the management level.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kyiv School of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 24.
Date of creation: May 2010
Date of revision:
Note: Submitted to the Journal of Urban Economics
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 13 Yakira Str, 04119 Kyiv
Web page: http://www.kse.org.ua/
More information through EDIRC
Agglomeration; Localization Economies; Ownership Structure; Transition; Production Function;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- P2 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies
- R1 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics
- R3 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2010-06-11 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-TRA-2010-06-11 (Transition Economics)
- NEP-URE-2010-06-11 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Olena Nizalova).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.