Intergenerational Analysis of Social Interaction
AbstractWe explore the relationship between the social interaction of parents and their offspring from a theoretical and an empirical perspective. Our theoretical framework establishes possible explanations for the intergenerational transfer of social interaction whereby the social interaction of the parent may influence that of their offspring and vice versa. The empirical evidence, based on four data sets covering Great Britain and the U.S., is supportive of our theoretical priors. We find robust evidence of intergenerational links between the social interaction of parents and their offspring supporting the existence of positive bi-directional intergenerational effects in social interaction.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 5621.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: published in: Economics of Education Review, 2014, 40, 43-54
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- D19 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Other
- H24 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Personal Income and Other Nonbusiness Taxes and Subsidies
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
- H31 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - Household
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-EVO-2011-04-23 (Evolutionary Economics)
- NEP-SOC-2011-04-23 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Grönqvist, Erik & Öckert, Björn & Vlachos, Jonas, 2010.
"The intergenerational transmission of cognitive and non-cognitive abilities,"
Working Paper Series
2010:12, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Grönqvist, Erik & Öckert, Björn & Vlachos, Jonas, 2010. "The intergenerational transmission of cognitive and non-cognitive abilities," CEPR Discussion Papers 7908, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grönqvist, Erik & Vlachos, Jonas & Öckert, Björn, 2011. "The Intergenerational Transmission of Cognitive and Non-Cognitive Abilities," Working Paper Series 884, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.