The Interaction between Retirement and Job Search: A Global Approach to Older Workers Employment
AbstractThis paper presents a theoretical foundation and empirical evidence in favor of the view that the tax on continued activity not only decreases the participation rate by inducing early retirement, but also badly affects the employment rate of older workers just before early retirement age. Countries with an early retirement age at 60 also have lower employment rates for old workers aged 55-59. Based on the French Labor Force Survey, we show that the likelihood of employment is significantly affected by the distance from retirement, in addition to age and other relevant variables. We then extend McCall's (1970) job search model by explicitly integrating life-cycle features and retirement decisions. Using simulations, we show that the effective tax on continued activity caused by French social security system in conjunction with the generosity of unemployment benefits for older workers helps explain the low rate of employment just before the early retirement age. Decreasing this tax, thus bringing it closer to the actuarially-fair scheme, not only extends the retirement age, but also encourages a more intensive job-search by older unemployed workers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 1984.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: published in: Journal of European Economic Association, 2010, 8(5), 1034-1076
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
- J26 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Retirement; Retirement Policies
- H31 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - Household
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-03-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2006-03-11 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-LAB-2006-03-11 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-PBE-2006-03-11 (Public Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Claudia Senik & Thierry Verdier, 2011.
"Segregation, entrepreneurship and work values: the case of France,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 24(4), pages 1207-1234, October.
- Senik, Claudia & Verdier, Thierry, 2008. "Segregation, Entrepreneurship and Work Values: The Case of France," IZA Discussion Papers 3319, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Claudia Senik & Thierry Verdier, 2007. "Segregation, entrepreneurship and work values: the case of France," PSE Working Papers halshs-00587718, HAL.
- Claudia Senik & Thierry Verdier, 2007. "Segregation, entrepreneurship and work values: the case of France," Working Papers halshs-00587718, HAL.
- Jean-Olivier Hairault & François Langot & Thepthida Sopraseuth, 2008.
"Quantifying The Laffer Curve On The Continued Activity Tax In A Dynastic Framework,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 49(3), pages 755-797, 08.
- Jean-Olivier Hairault & François Langot & Thepthida Sopraseuth, 2008. "Quantifying the Laffer Curve on the Continued Activity Tax in a Dynastic Framework," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00178465, HAL.
- Moreno-Galbis Eva & LANGOT Francois, 2008. "Does growth discriminates against older workers?," 2008 Meeting Papers 590, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jean-Olivier Hairault & Francois Langot & Arnaud Cheron, 2007. "Job creation and job destruction over the life cycle," 2007 Meeting Papers 431, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.