Declining U.S. Tobacco Exports to Australia: A Derived Demand Approach to Competitiveness
AbstractThe loss of competitiveness of U.S. tobacco leaf exports to Australia is empirically investigated, using industry-level time-series market data. Tobacco-relative prices, market structure, scale, Australian market distortions, and changing characteristics of cigarettes are accounted for in the investigation. A decomposition analysis reveals that a switch to lighter cigarettes and changes in the Australian domestic tobacco content policy are the major contributors to the decline of U.S. tobacco exports. Tobacco price differences between the U.S. and its competitors, alone, cannot explain the loss of competitiveness of U.S. tobacco in Australian cigarette manufacturing.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 1606.
Date of creation: 01 May 1995
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in American Journal of Agricultural Economics, May 1995, vol. 77 no. 2, pp. 260-267
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
australia; competitiveness; export; US tobacco;
Other versions of this item:
- Hu, Fan & Beghin, John C., 1994. "Declining U.S. Tobacco Exports To Australia: A Derived Demand Approach To Competitiveness," Working Papers 51224, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Beghin, John C. & Blake Brown, A. & Hasyim Zaini, M., 1997.
"Impact of domestic content requirement on the US tobacco and cigarette industries,"
Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 201-212, January.
- Beghin, John C. & Brown, A. Blake & Zaini, M. Hasyim, 1997. "Impact of Domestic Content Requirement on the U.S. Tobacco and Cigarette Industries," Staff General Research Papers 1483, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.