Transaction Costs and the Present Value Model of Farmland: Iowa, 1900-1994
AbstractThe present study investigates whether the farmland "constant-discount-rate present-value-model (CDR-PVM) puzzle" is due to transaction costs. The theoretical implications of transaction costs for the CDR-PVM of farmland are discussed, and two bootstrap tests of such implications are introduced and applied to Iowa farmland prices and rents. Empirical results regarding the validity of the CDR-PVM in the presence of typical transaction costs are ambiguous. Econometric tests indicate that the CDR-PVM is consistent with typical transaction costs assuming a one-period holding horizon, but not when an infinite-holding horizon is hypothesized.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 1535.
Date of creation: 01 May 1999
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in American Journal of Agricultural Economics, May 1999, vol. 81 no. 2, pp. 257-272
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Sergio H. Lence & Douglas J. Miller, 1999. "Transaction Costs and the Present Value Model of Farmland: Iowa, 1900–1994," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(2), pages 257-272.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Xiaodong Du & David A. Hennessy & William M. Edwards, 2007.
"Determinants of Iowa Cropland Cash Rental Rates: Testing Ricardian Rent Theory,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
07-wp454, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Du, Xiaodong & Hennessy, David A. & Edwards, William M., 2008. "Determinants of Iowa Cropland Cash Rental Rates: Testing Ricardian Rent Theory," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6355, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Mishra, Ashok K. & Moss, Charles B. & Erickson, Kenneth W., 2004. "Effect Of Debt Solvency On Farmland Values: A Panel Cointegration Approach," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20261, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Painter, Marvin J., 2003. "Efficient Investment in Saskatchewan Farmland," 14th Congress, Perth, Western Australia, August 10-15, 2003 24316, International Farm Management Association.
- Painter, Marvin J., 2002. "Efficient Investment in Saskatchewan Farmland," 13th Congress, Wageningen, The Netherlands, July 7-12, 2002 6955, International Farm Management Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.