International Competitiveness: is the reduction of wages a solution? An evaluation of the Portuguese case
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to analyse, for the case of Portugal, the effectiveness of wage reduction - a current proposal since 2011 to help the country to reverse the high public and external debt - in promoting the efficiency and international competitiveness of the economy. A static multi-sector and single-country general equilibrium model is used and data is collected from the GTAP7 Database. The model allows the measurement of changes by sector. The simulations performed show that extending the reduction of wages already deployed by the government in the public sector to the private sector leads to a positive impact on employment (both skilled and unskilled labour), production and volume of exports in all sectors except those that are R&D intensive, the latter having a low weight in the Portuguese economy. However, it is possible that the positive results in terms of external competitiveness are not sustainable, as the impact on productivity is negative, albeit small, for most sectors. There are also reasons for concern regarding the observed deterioration of the trade balance of most sectors, the exception being the traditional labour intensive sectors, which show good prospects in this respect.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon in its series Working Papers Department of Economics with number 2013/03.
Date of creation: Feb 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, University of Lisbon, Rua do Quelhas 6, 1200-781 LISBON, PORTUGAL
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
Competitiveness; wages; Stability and Growth Pact; General; Equilibrium Model; Portugal.;
Other versions of this item:
- Elsa Vaz & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2013. "International Competitiveness: is the reduction of wages a solution? An evaluation of the Portuguese case," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2013_04, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Elsa Cristina Vaz & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2013. "International Competitiveness: is the reduction of wages a solution? An evaluation of the Portuguese case," Working Papers Department of Economics, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon 2013/14, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- J38 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Public Policy
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2013-03-23 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2013-03-23 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EEC-2013-03-23 (European Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.