Policy-related small.area estimation
AbstractA method of small-area estimation with a utility function is developed. The utility characterises a policy planned to be implemented in each area, based on the area?s estimate of a key quantity. It is shown that the commonly applied empirical Bayes and composite estimators are inefficient for a wide range of utility functions. Adaptations for limited budget to implement the policy are explored. An argument is presented for a closer integration of estimation and (regional) policy making.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CEPS/INSTEAD in its series CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series with number 2011-44.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 3, avenue de la Fonte, L-4364 Esch-sur-Alzette, G.-D. Luxembourg
Phone: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 1
Fax: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 700
Web page: http://www.ceps.lu
More information through EDIRC
Composition; empirical Bayes; expected loss; borrowing strenght; exploiting similarity; small-area estimation; utility function;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C18 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Methodolical Issues: General
- C44 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Operations Research; Statistical Decision Theory
- C83 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Survey Methods; Sampling Methods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-09-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2011-09-05 (Econometrics)
- NEP-UPT-2011-09-05 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Longford, Nicholas T., 2010. "Bayesian Decision Making About Small Binomial Rates With Uncertainty About the Prior," The American Statistician, American Statistical Association, vol. 64(2), pages 164-169.
- Peter Hall & Tapabrata Maiti, 2006. "On parametric bootstrap methods for small area prediction," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 68(2), pages 221-238.
- Garthwaite, Paul H. & Kadane, Joseph B. & O'Hagan, Anthony, 2005. "Statistical Methods for Eliciting Probability Distributions," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 680-701, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Begona Levices).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.