Common dynamics in I(1) VAR systems
AbstractThis paper discusses common cycles in I(1) vector autoregressive (VAR) systems, both for the first di¤erences of the process and for deviations from equilibrium. This extension is based on the equilibrium dynamics representation of I(1) systems, which is presented in this paper. Inference on the number of common features is addressed via reduced rank regression, as well as estimation of the cofeature relations and specification testing. An empirical application on five US monthly macro and financial time series illustrates the techniques presented in the paper. We find one cointegrating relation and one cofeature vector in the equilibrium dynamics formulation, implying four common trends and four common cycles in the system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Insubria in its series Economics and Quantitative Methods with number qf0316.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Ravasi 2-21100 Varese
Web page: http://www.uninsubria.it/uninsubria/facolta/econo.html
More information through EDIRC
Common features; Cofeatures; Cointegration; Common trends; Common cycles; Common dynamics; Vector autoregressions; I(1); Reduced rank regression.;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Trenkler, Carsten & Weber, Enzo, 2012.
"Codependent VAR Models and the Pseudo-Structural Form,"
12-10, University of Mannheim, Department of Economics.
- Carsten Trenkler & Enzo Weber, 2013. "Codependent VAR models and the pseudo-structural form," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer, vol. 97(3), pages 287-295, July.
- Trenkler, Carsten & Weber, Enzo, 2012. "Codependent VAR Models and the Pseudo-Structural Form," University of Regensburg Working Papers in Business, Economics and Management Information Systems 465, University of Regensburg, Department of Economics.
- Gianluca Cubadda, 2007.
"A Unifying Framework for Analysing Common Cyclical Features in Cointegrated Time Series,"
CEIS Research Paper
102, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Cubadda, Gianluca, 2007. "A unifying framework for analysing common cyclical features in cointegrated time series," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 896-906, October.
- Fanelli, Luca, 2005.
"Testing the New Keynesian Phillips curve through Vector Autoregressive models: Results from the Euro area,"
1617, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jan 2007.
- Luca Fanelli, 2008. "Testing the New Keynesian Phillips Curve Through Vector Autoregressive Models: Results from the Euro Area," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(1), pages 53-66, 02.
- Luca Fanelli, 2006. "Testing the New Keynesian Phillips Curve through Vector Autoregressive models : Results from the Euro area," Quaderni di Dipartimento 0, Department of Statistics, University of Bologna.
- Fanelli, Luca, 2008. "Evaluating New Keynesian Phillips Curve under VAR-Based Learning," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 2(33), pages 1-24.
- Luca Fanelli, 2009. "Estimation of quasi-rational DSGE monetary models," Quaderni di Dipartimento 3, Department of Statistics, University of Bologna.
- Trenkler, Carsten & Weber, Enzo, 2012.
"Identifying the Shocks behind Business Cycle Asynchrony in Euroland,"
12-11, University of Mannheim, Department of Economics.
- Trenkler, Carsten & Weber, Enzo, 2012. "Identifying the Shocks behind Business Cycle Asynchrony in Euroland," University of Regensburg Working Papers in Business, Economics and Management Information Systems 466, University of Regensburg, Department of Economics.
- Paruolo Paolo, 2003.
"Common trends and cycles in I(2) VAR systems,"
Economics and Quantitative Methods
qf0217bis, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Luca Fanelli & Giulio Palomba, 2011.
"Simulation‐based tests of forward‐looking models under VAR learning dynamics,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(5), pages 762-782, 08.
- Luca FANELLI & Giulio PALOMBA, 2007. "Simulation-Based Tests of Forward-Looking Models Under VAR Learning Dynamics," Working Papers 298, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Marcel Gorenflo, 2013. "Futures price dynamics of CO 2 emission allowances," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 45(3), pages 1025-1047, December.
- Franchi, Massimo & Paruolo, Paolo, 2011. "A characterization of vector autoregressive processes with common cyclical features," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 163(1), pages 105-117, July.
- Massimiliano Castellani & Luca Fanelli & Marco Savioli, 2013. "Government Fiscal Efforts vs. Labour Union Strikes: It Takes Two to Tango," Working Paper Series 33_13, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2014.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Segreteria Dipartimento).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.