Return emigrants in Kerala: Rehabilitation problems and development potential
AbstractThis research report is aimed at three aspects of return emigrants in Kerala - their occupational mobility, utilisation of their human and material resources in Kerala's development and their rehabilitation. It describes their demographic, social and economic characteristics before emigration, after emigration and, after return to Kerala. Also included are the financial costs of and benefits from emigration and the problems faced by them in the Gulf countries and in Kerala after return. A few suggestions for their rehabilitation and their possible role in the state's development effort are made in the concluding part.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India in its series Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers with number 319.
Length: 50 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2001
Date of revision:
Return migration; remittances; rehabilitation; Kerala;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J10 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - General
- J18 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Public Policy
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- K. P. Kannan & K. S. Hari, 2010. "Kerela's Gulf Connection: Emigration, Remittances and their Macroeconomic Impact 1972-2000," Working Papers id:3132, eSocialSciences.
- K.C. Zachariah & B.A. Prakash & S. Irudaya Rajan, 2002. "Gulf migration study: Employment, wages and working conditions of Kerala emigrants in the United Arab Emirates," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 326, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- K.P. Kannan & K.S. Hari, 2002. "Kerala's Gulf connection: Emigration, remittances and their macroeconomic impact 1972-2000," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 328, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- S. Irudaya Rajan & B.A. Prakash & K. C. Zachariah, 2010. "Gulf Migration Study: Employment, Wages and Working Conditions of Kerala Emigrants in the United Arab Emirates," Working Papers id:3185, eSocialSciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamprasad M. Pujar).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.