Even (mixed) risk lovers are prudent
AbstractThe purpose of this note is to analyze properties of the risk lovers? utility function beyond the positive sign of its second order derivative. We show that??contrarily to a priori beliefs??risk lovers are prudent and are willing to accumulate precautionary savings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by IESEG School of Management in its series Working Papers with number 2011-ECO-05.
Length: 10 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2011
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-04-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-04-17 (Business Economics)
- NEP-MIC-2012-04-17 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Louis Eeckhoudt & Harris Schlesinger, 2006.
"Putting Risk in Its Proper Place,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(1), pages 280-289, March.
- Louis Eeckhoudt & Harris Schlesinger, 2005. "Putting Risk in its Proper Place," CESifo Working Paper Series 1462, CESifo Group Munich.
- EECKHOUDT, Louis & SCHLESINGER, Harris, . "Putting risk in its proper place," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1871, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Caballé, Jordi & Pomansky, Alexey, 1995.
"Mixed Risk Aversion,"
Working Paper Series
444, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Ekern, Steinar, 1980. "Increasing Nth degree risk," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 329-333.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1990.
"Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 53-73, January.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1989. "Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large," NBER Working Papers 2848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- EECKHOUDT, Louis & SCHELSINGER, Harris & TSETLIN, Ilia, .
"Apportioning of risks via stochastic dominance,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-2096, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Menezes, C & Geiss, C & Tressler, J, 1980. "Increasing Downside Risk," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 921-32, December.
- Cary Deck & Harris Schlesinger, 2010.
"Exploring Higher Order Risk Effects,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 77(4), pages 1403-1420.
- Noussair, C.N. & Trautmann, S.T. & Kuilen, G. van de, 2011.
"Higher Order Risk Attitudes, Demographics, and Financial Decisions,"
2011-055, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Charles N. Noussair & Stefan T. Trautmann & Gijs van de Kuilen, 2014. "Higher Order Risk Attitudes, Demographics, and Financial Decisions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 81(1), pages 325-355.
- X. Henry Wang & Carmen F. Menezes, 2004.
"Increasing Outer Risk,"
0413, Department of Economics, University of Missouri, revised 23 Dec 2004.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Gollier, Christian & Hammitt, James & Treich, Nicolas, 2013.
"Risk and Choice: A Research Saga,"
TSE Working Papers
13-444, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Laurie Bréban & André Lapidus, 2013. "Adam Smith on lotteries: an interpretation and formal restatement," Working Papers hal-00914222, HAL.
- Cary Deck & Harris Schlesinger, 2012. "Consistency of Higher Order Risk Preferences," CESifo Working Paper Series 4047, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jindapon, Paan, 2013. "Do risk lovers invest in self-protection?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 290-293.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monika Marin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.