Budgeting for results in Latin America: Conditions for its deployment and development
AbstractGiven current evidence of potential tangible benefits, in terms of public expenditure sustainability, efficiency and effectiveness, from more efficient utilization of budgeting for results, how can we explain the uneven development of this process in Latin America and the Caribbean? This paper analyzes the conditions that favor its implementation (institutional conditions, motivation, capacities, and legal support), and provides policy recommendations aimed at increasing the likelihood that countries will eventually introduce budgeting for results and in its total utilization once these systems are in course.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department in its series Research Department Publications with number 4787.
Date of creation: Jun 2012
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H11 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government - - - Structure and Scope of Government
- H50 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - General
- H60 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen Schick, 2003. "The Performing State: Reflection on an Idea Whose Time Has Come but Whose Implementation Has Not," OECD Journal on Budgeting, OECD Publishing, vol. 3(2), pages 71-103.
- Mark Hallerberg & Carlos Scartascini, 2011.
"Economic Crisis and Fiscal Reforms in Latin America,"
37738, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Mark Hallerberg & Carlos Scartascini, 2011. "Economic Crisis and Fiscal Reforms in Latin America," Research Department Publications 4697, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- repec:idb:brikps:8951 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Luis Daniel Martinez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.