World Fertilizer Modelâ€”The WorldNPK Model
AbstractWe introduce a world fertilizers model that is capable of producing fertilizer demand projections by crop, by country, by macronutrients, and by year. For each crop, the most relevant countries in terms of production, consumption, or trade are explicitly modeled. The remaining countries are modeled, for each crop, within a regional aggregate. The nutrient coverage includes nitrogen (N), phosphorous (P), and potassium (K). In this report we present the data and procedures used to set up the model as well as the assumptions made. The fertilizer model interacts with the yield equations of the FAPRI-ISU model (Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute at Iowa State University), and by means of a set of production elasticities, projects each nutrientâ€™s application rate per hectare for each commodity and each country covered by the FAPRI-ISU model. Then, the application rates and the areas projected by FAPRI-ISU are used to obtain projections of fertilizer demand from agriculture on a global scale. With this fertilizer module, policies that directly affect fertilizer markets, such as input taxes or subsidies, quantity use restrictions, and trade restrictions, can now be explicitly formulated and evaluated. The effects of these policies on global agricultural markets and on greenhouse gas emissions can be evaluated with the FAPRI-ISU model and the Greenhouse Gas in Agriculture Simulation Model (GreenAgSiM). Also, any other policy affecting commodity markets such as input and output price shocks, biofuels mandates, and land-use change can now be evaluated with regard to its impacts on the world fertilizer markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University in its series Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications with number 11-wp520.
Date of creation: Apr 2011
Date of revision:
agriculture; fertilizer; nitrogen; phosphorous; policy analysis; potassium; projections. JEL codes: Q10; Q11; Q18;
Other versions of this item:
- Francisco Rosas, 2011. "World Fertilizer Modelâ€”The WorldNPK Model," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 11-wp520, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- pro - - - - - -
- JEL - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- cod - - - - - -
- Q - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2011-05-07 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-05-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2011-05-07 (Computational Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francisco Rosas, 2012. "Fertilizer Use by Crop at the Country Level (1990â€“2010)," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 12-wp535, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.