Property Relations and Financial Reforms in Transition Economies
AbstractProperty relations and financial markets are key aspects of the transition to a market economy. This paper reviews conceptual analysis and recent experience in these areas under five broad headings: (1) property rights and the legal framework; (2) privatisation; (3) the management and regulation of state-owned firms; (4) banking and finance; and (5) restructuring. The emphasis of the paper is on the view that these apparently different dimensions of the transition are actually closely inter-related, with the result that good policies in one area are necessarily highly dependent on progress with the others. Some of these issues turned out to be more difficult and complicated than appeared at the start of transition, but considerable learning has taken place and better policies can now be designed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University in its series CERT Discussion Papers with number 9711.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1998-10-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-1998-10-19 (European Economics)
- NEP-FMK-1998-10-19 (Financial Markets)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- I Grosfeld & P Hare, 1991. "Privatization in Hungary," CEP Discussion Papers dp0031, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Roman Frydman & Andrzej Rapaczynski, 1993. "Insiders and the state: overview of responses to agency problems in East European privatizations," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 1(1), pages 39-59, 01.
- Peter Luzik, 1999. "International Experience in Tax Reform and Lessons for Ukraine," CERT Discussion Papers 9904, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Professor Mark Schaffer) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Professor Mark Schaffer to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.