Political Economy of Privatization in Hungary: A Progress Report
AbstractThis paper focuses on the political economy of privatization in its second phase in Hungary, the country which, overall, has gone furthest in privatizing public utilities, introducing elements of competition and setting up regulatory mechanisms and institutions to monitor them. The background to Hungary's reform path, the antecedents to privatization, the debate on the issues, the institutional framework and the progress of privatization in Hungary up to late 1993/early 1994 are well-documented elsewhere, including by the present authors. Therefore, the paper presents a brief review of the evolutionary path of Hungary's privatization "vision", policy and strategy under the government of József Antall (1990-1994), and attempts to identify the factors influencing this evolution. Developments regarding privatization under the reform- socialist/liberal coalition government led by Gyula Horn, which came to power in 1994, and a detailed examination of the privatization of the major utilities and the regulatory environment currently in place, forms the core of this study. Finally, the paper sets the above in the context of the overall development of the private sector in Hungary.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University in its series CERT Discussion Papers with number 9613.
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1998-10-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-1998-10-19 (European Economics)
- NEP-POL-1998-10-19 (Positive Political Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Campos, Nauro F & Horváth, Roman, 2006.
"Reform Redux: Measurement, Determinants and Reversals,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5673, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nauro F. Campos & Roman Horváth, 2006. "Reform Redux: Measurement, Determinants and Reversals," Working Papers IES 2006/16, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Apr 2006.
- Nauro F. Campos & Roman Horvath, 2009. "Reform Redux: Measurement, Determinants and Reversals," Working Papers 2009/6, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Campos, Nauro F & Horváth, Roman, 2006. "Reform Redux: Measurement, Determinants and Reversals," IZA Discussion Papers 2093, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Morris Bornstein, 2001. "Post-privatisation Enterprise Restructuring," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 189-203.
- Morris Bornstein, 2000. "Post-Privatization Enterprise Restructuring," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 327, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Professor Mark Schaffer).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.