Spectral estimation of covolatility from noisy observations using local weights
AbstractWe propose localized spectral estimators for the quadratic covariation and the spot covolatility of diffusion processes which are observed discretely with additive observation noise. The eligibility of this approach to lead to an appropriate estimation for time-varying volatilities stems from an asymptotic equivalence of the underlying statistical model to a white noise model with correlation and volatility processes being constant over small intervals. The asymptotic equivalence of the continuous-time and the discrete-time experiments are proved by a construction with linear interpolation in one direction and local means for the other. The new estimator outperforms earlier nonparametric approaches in the considered model. We investigate its finite sample size characteristics in simulations and draw a comparison between the various proposed methods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany in its series SFB 649 Discussion Papers with number SFB649DP2011-086.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2011
Date of revision:
asymptotic equivalence; covariation; integrated covolatility; microstructure noise; spectral adaptive estimation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C58 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Financial Econometrics
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xiu, Dacheng, 2010. "Quasi-maximum likelihood estimation of volatility with high frequency data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 159(1), pages 235-250, November.
- Ole E Barndorff-Nielsen & Peter Hansen & Asger Lunde & Neil Shephard, 2006.
"Designing realised kernels to measure the ex-post variation of equity prices in the presence of noise,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2006fe05, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Peter Reinhard Hansen & Asger Lunde & Neil Shephard, 2008. "Designing Realized Kernels to Measure the ex post Variation of Equity Prices in the Presence of Noise," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(6), pages 1481-1536, November.
- Neil Shephard & Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen, 2006. "Designing realised kernels to measure the ex-post variation of equity prices in the presence of noise," Economics Series Working Papers 2006-W03, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Peter Reinhard Hansen & Asger Lunde & Neil Shephard, 2006. "Designing realised kernels to measure the ex-post variation of equity prices in the presence of noise," Economics Papers 2006-W03, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Kim Christensen & Silja Kinnebrock & Mark Podolskij, 2010.
"Pre-averaging estimators of the ex-post covariance matrix in noisy diffusion models with non-synchronous data,"
- Christensen, Kim & Kinnebrock, Silja & Podolskij, Mark, 2010. "Pre-averaging estimators of the ex-post covariance matrix in noisy diffusion models with non-synchronous data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 159(1), pages 116-133, November.
- Kim Christensen & Silja Kinnebrock & Mark Podolskij, 2009. "Pre-averaging estimators of the ex-post covariance matrix in noisy diffusion models with non-synchronous data," CREATES Research Papers 2009-45, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Markus Bibinger, 2011. "Efficient Covariance Estimation for Asynchronous Noisy High‐Frequency Data," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 38(1), pages 23-45, 03.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.