Portfolio Selection with Skewness: A Comparison and a Generalized Two Fund Separation Result
AbstractThe main aim of this contribution is to compare existing and newly developed techniques for geometrically representing mean-variance-skewness portfolio frontiers based on the rather widely adapted methodology of polynomial goal programming (PGP) on the one hand and the more recent approach based on the shortage function on the other hand. Moreover, we explain the working of these different methodologies in detail and provide graphical illustrations. Inspired by these illustrations, we prove a generalization of the well-known two fund separation theorem from traditional mean-variance portfolio theory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management in its series Working Papers with number 2011/09.
Length: 34 page
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
shortage function; PGP; efficient frontier; mean-variance; mean-skewness; mean-varianceskewness;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-01 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Octave Jokung, 2007.
"Mean-Variance-Skewness Portfolio Performance Gauging: A General Shortage Function and Dual Approach,"
INFORMS, vol. 53(1), pages 135-149, January.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Octave Jokung, 2005. "Mean-Variance-Skewness Portfolio Performance Gauging: A General Shortage Function and Dual Approach," Working Papers 2005-ECO-05, IESEG School of Management.
- Briec, Walter & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 2010.
"Portfolio selection in multidimensional general and partial moment space,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 636-656, April.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2009. "Portfolio Selection in Multidimensional General and Partial Moment Space," Working Papers 2009-ECO-08, IESEG School of Management.
- Kerstens, Kristiaan & Mounir, Amine & Van de Woestyne, Ignace, 2011.
"Geometric representation of the mean-variance-skewness portfolio frontier based upon the shortage function,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 210(1), pages 81-94, April.
- Kerstens, Kristiaan & Mounier, Amine & Van de Woestyne, Ignace, 2008. "Geometric representation of the mean-variance-skewness portfolio frontier based upon the shortage function," Working Papers 2008/61, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Kristiaan Kerstens & Amine Mounir & Amine Mounir & Ignace Van de Woestyne, 2008. "Geometric Representation of the Mean-Variance-Skewness Portfolio Frontier Based upon the Shortage Function," Working Papers 2008-ECO-17, IESEG School of Management.
- Shady Aboul-Enein & Georges Dionne & Nicolas Papageorgiou, 2009.
"Performance Analysis of a Collateralized Fund Obligation (CFO) Equity Tranche,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Shady Aboul-Enein & Georges Dionne & Nicolas Papageorgiou, 2013. "Performance analysis of a collateralized fund obligation (CFO) equity tranche," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(6), pages 518-553, July.
- Brodie, Joshua & Daubechies, Ingrid & De Mol, Christine & Giannone, Domenico & Loris, Ignace, 2008.
"Sparse and stable Markowitz portfolios,"
Working Paper Series
0936, European Central Bank.
- Brodie, Joshua & Daubechies, Ingrid & De Mol, Christine & Giannone, Domenico, 2007. "Sparse and Stable Markowitz Portfolios," CEPR Discussion Papers 6474, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joshua Brodie & Ingrid Daubechies & Christine De Mol & Domenico Giannone & Ignace Loris, 2007. "Sparse and stable Markowitz portfolios," Papers 0708.0046, arXiv.org, revised May 2008.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Jean Baptiste Lesourd, 2002. "Single Period Markowitz Portfolio Selection, Performance Gauging and Duality: A Variation on Luenberger’s Shortage Function," Working Paper 200203, Department of Business Economics, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona.
- Chunhachinda, Pornchai & Dandapani, Krishnan & Hamid, Shahid & Prakash, Arun J., 1997. "Portfolio selection and skewness: Evidence from international stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 143-167, February.
- Prakash, Arun J. & Chang, Chun-Hao & Pactwa, Therese E., 2003. "Selecting a portfolio with skewness: Recent evidence from US, European, and Latin American equity markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 1375-1390, July.
- Chun-Hao Chang & Brice Dupoyet & Arun Prakash, 2008. "Effect of intervalling and skewness on portfolio selection in developed and developing markets," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(21), pages 1697-1707.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Janssens).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.