Poverty Statics And Dynamics: Does The Accounting Period Matter?
Abstract. Deciding on over what period should household income be measured in order to assess poverty may have significant effects on the incidence, the characterisation of poverty and its persistence. In general, there are two possible household income variables available in household surveys: Annual or current income. Surprisingly, the literature on poverty offers few pieces of research on this matter. In this paper we use a sub-annual panel on incomes for Spain in order to measure the effects of the income accounting period on both the statics (incidence and characterisation) and dynamics of poverty (mobility, exit and entry rates). Our analysis indicates that the accounting period option matters for results on poverty statics and dynamics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto de Estudios Fiscales in its series Working Papers with number 22-02 Classification-JEL : D1, D31, I32..
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
income distribution; sensitivity analysis; accounting period; poverty statics; poverty dynamics; Spain.;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jürgen Faik, 2011.
"A new framework of measuring inequality: Variable equivalence scales and group-specific well-being limits. Sensitivity findings for German personal income distribution 1995-2009,"
219, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Jürgen Faik, 2011. "A New Framework of Measuring Inequality: Variable Equivalence Scales and Group-Specific Well-Being Limits ; Sensitivity Findings for German Personal Income Distribution 1995-2009," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 401, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- repec:ese:iserwp:2002-27 is not listed on IDEAS
- Carsten Schröder, 2012. "The sensitivity of distributional measures to the reference period of income," Kiel Working Papers 1777, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Francisco Azpitarte, 2008. "Measurement and Identification of Asset-Poor Households: A Cross-National Comparison of Spain and the United Kingdom," Working Papers 105, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- E Barcena & Frank Cowell, 2006.
"Static and dynamic poverty in Spain, 1993-2000,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library
2678, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Elena Bárcena Martín & Frank A Cowell, 2006. "Static and Dynamic Poverty in Spain, 1993-2000," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE 77, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Olga Cantó & Coral del Río & Carlos Gradín, 2003.
"La evolución de la pobreza estática y dinámica en España en el período 1985-1995,"
Hacienda Pública Española, IEF,
IEF, vol. 167(4), pages 87-119, December.
- Olga Cantó & Coral del Río & Carlos Gradín, . "La Evolución De La Pobreza Estática Y Dinámica En España En El Periodo 1985.1995," Working Papers, Instituto de Estudios Fiscales 24-02 Classification-JEL , Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Coral del Río & Carlos Gradín & Olga Cantó, 2006. "What helps households with children in leaving poverty? Evidence from Spain," Working Papers 24, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Olga Cantó Sánchez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Olga Cantó Sánchez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.