Static and Dynamic Poverty in Spain, 1993-2000
AbstractWe focus on the statics and dynamics of poverty in Spain using income data from the first eight waves of the European Community Household Panel. These data are for the years 1993-2000, a period not sufficiently covered by recent literature. The results confirm the pattern of poverty changes noted by other authors for the early nineteen-nineties. After this period poverty reduces slightly in incidence and intensity, but 2000 is a turning point. In the dynamic perspective, the pattern revealed is one of much mobility, but most of it short-range.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by IEF in its journal Hacienda Pública Española/Revista de Economía Pública.
Volume (Year): 179 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (September)
ECHP; income distribution; poverty dynamics; re-entry and exit rate; static poverty.;
Other versions of this item:
- Elena Bárcena Martín & Frank A Cowell, 2006. "Static and Dynamic Poverty in Spain, 1993-2000," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 77, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Mercader-Prats, Magda, 1999.
"Household Needs and Poverty: With Application to Spain and the U.K,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 45(1), pages 77-98, March.
- Duclos, J.Y. & Mercader-Prats, M., 1996. "Household Needs and Poverty: With Application to Spain and the UK," Papers 9614, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Mercarder-Prats, Magda, 1996. "Household Needs and Poverty: with Application to Spain and the UK," Cahiers de recherche 9614, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Duncan, Greg J, et al, 1993. "Poverty Dynamics in Eight Countries," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 215-34.
- Stephen P. Jenkins, 2000.
"Modelling household income dynamics,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 529-567.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2002-27 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ann Huff Stevens, 1995.
"Climbing Out of Poverty, Falling Back In: Measuring the Persistence of Poverty over Multiple Spells,"
NBER Working Papers
5390, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ann Huff Stevens, 1999. "Climbing out of Poverty, Falling Back in: Measuring the Persistence of Poverty Over Multiple Spells," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 34(3), pages 557-588.
- Marta Pascual & José María Sarabia, . "Factores Determinantes De La Distribución Personal De La Renta: Un Estudio Empírico A Partir Del Phogue," Working Papers 15-04 Classification-JEL , Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Bruce Headey & Peter Krause & Roland Habich, 1994. "Long and short term poverty: Is Germany a two-thirds society?," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Smith, James D & Morgan James N, 1970. "Variability of Economic Well-being and Its Determinants," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(2), pages 286-95, May.
- Olga Cantó & Coral del Río & Carlos Gradín, . "Poverty Statics And Dynamics: Does The Accounting Period Matter?," Working Papers 22-02 Classification-JEL , Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Coulter, Fiona A E & Cowell, Frank A & Jenkins, Stephen P, 1992. "Differences in Needs and Assessment of Income Distributions," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 77-124, April.
- Ada Ferrer-i-carbonell & X. Ramos & M. Oviedo, 2013. "GINI Country Report: Growing Inequalities and their Impacts in Spain," GINI Country Reports spain, AIAS, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Olga Cantó Sánchez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Olga Cantó Sánchez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.