Division of Household Labor and Marital Satisfaction in China, Japan, and Korea
AbstractIn this study, we compare the association of marital satisfaction with the division of labor between husband and wife in Asia, based on Chinese, Japanese, and Korean General Social Surveys in 2006 (N = 2,346, 997, and 990, respectively). Results show that in all three countries, wives are less satisfied than husbands with marriage, mainly because wives do disproportionately more housework than husbands. Aside from this common gender difference, there are noticeable differences among the three countries. Chinese couples are relatively in favor of an egalitarian division of labor in terms of both market work and housework. Japanese couples are supportive of traditional specialization, with the wives flexibly shifting their efforts between market work and housework. Korean couples are under pressure from conflicts between the wife‘s labor force participation and the traditional division of labor in the household.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series PIE/CIS Discussion Paper with number 502.
Length: 31 p.
Date of creation: Feb 2011
Date of revision:
Division of household labor; gender difference; marital satisfaction;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CNA-2011-04-02 (China)
- NEP-HME-2011-04-02 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-LAB-2011-04-02 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Becker, Gary S & Landes, Elisabeth M & Michael, Robert T, 1977. "An Economic Analysis of Marital Instability," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(6), pages 1141-87, December.
- Hideo Akabayashi, 2006. "The labor supply of married women and spousal tax deductions in Japan—a structural estimation," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 349-378, December.
- Joung, Inez M. A. & van de Mheen, H. Dike & Stronks, Karien & van Poppel, Frans W. A. & Mackenbach, Johan P., 1998. "A longitudinal study of health selection in marital transitions," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 425-435, February.
- Yukiko Abe, 2009. "The Effects Of The 1.03 Million Yen Ceiling In A Dynamic Labor Supply Model," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 27(2), pages 147-163, 04.
- Alfonso Miranda & Sophia Rabe-Hesketh, 2006. "Maximum likelihood estimation of endogenous switching and sample selection models for binary, ordinal, and count variables," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(3), pages 285-308, September.
- Jamila Bookwala, 2009. "The Impact of Parent Care on Marital Quality and Well-Being in Adult Daughters and Sons," Journals of Gerontology: Series B, Gerontological Society of America, vol. 64(3), pages 339-347.
- Randall Kesselring & Dale Bremmer, 2006. "Female income and the divorce decision: evidence from micro data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(14), pages 1605-1616.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2012.
"Influence of age of child on differences in life satisfaction of males and females: Comparative study among East Asian countries,"
35770, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2012. "Influence of age of child on differences in life satisfaction of males and females: A comparative study among East Asian countries," MPRA Paper 36988, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eiji Yamamura & Antonio R. Andrés, 2011.
"Influence of age of child on differences in marital satisfaction of males and females in East Asian countries,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2011_19, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Yamamura, Eiji & Andrés, Antonio R., 2011. "Influence of age of child on differences in marital satisfaction of males and females in East Asian countries," MPRA Paper 32756, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eiji Yamamura & Antonio Rodriguez, 2012. "Influence of age of child on differencesinlife satisfaction ofmalesand females: A comparative study among East Asian countries," Development Research Working Paper Series 04/2012, Institute for Advanced Development Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.