Patent Pools and Cross-Licensing in the Shadow of Patent Litigation
AbstractThis paper develops a framework to analyze the incentives to form a patent pool or engage in cross-licensing arrangements in the presence of uncertainty about the validity and coverage of patents that makes disputes inevitable. It analyzes the private incentives to litigate and compares them with the social incentives. It shows that pooling arrangements can have the effect of sheltering invalid patents from challenges. This result has an antitrust implication that patent pools should not be permitted until after patentees have challenged the validity of each other’s patents if litigation costs are not too large.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series PIE/CIS Discussion Paper with number 417.
Length: 42 p.
Date of creation: Mar 2009
Date of revision:
Note: Manuscript received December 2007; revised September 2008., Shortened Title: Patent Pools and Litigation, Patent Pools and Litigation
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2-1 Naka, Kunitachi City, Tokyo 186-8603
Web page: http://cis.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Jay Pil Choi, 2010. "Patent Pools And Cross-Licensing In The Shadow Of Patent Litigation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 51(2), pages 441-460, 05.
- Jay Pil Choi, 2009. "Patent Pools and Cross-Licensing in the Shadow of Patent Litigation," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd08-044, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2009-07-03 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IND-2009-07-03 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-INO-2009-07-03 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2009-07-03 (Intellectual Property Rights)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00847955 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mark A. Lemley & Carl Shapiro, 2005.
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 19(2), pages 75-98, Spring.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00595493 is not listed on IDEAS
- Thomas D. Jeitschko & Nanyun Zhang, 2012.
"Adverse Effects of Patent Pooling on Product Development and Commercialization,"
EAG Discussions Papers
201205, Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
- Jeitschko Thomas D. & Zhang Nanyun, 2014. "Adverse Effects of Patent Pooling on Product Development and Commercialization," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 14(1), pages 31, January.
- Jeitschko, Thomas D. & Zhang, Nanyun, 2013. "Adverse effects of patent pooling on product development and commercialization," DICE Discussion Papers 92, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Gilbert, Richard J & Katz, Michael L, 2009.
"Efficient Division of Profits from Complementary Innovations,"
Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series
qt5mr0s11v, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Gilbert, Richard J. & Katz, Michael L., 2011. "Efficient division of profits from complementary innovations," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 443-454, July.
- Steffen Brenner, 2009. "Optimal formation rules for patent pools," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 373-388, September.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00847955 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ghafele, Roya & Gibert, Benjamin, 2011. "The Transaction Cost Benefits of Electronic Patent Licensing Platforms: A Discussion at the Example of the PatentBooks Model," MPRA Paper 36010, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Jan 2012.
- Akifumi Ishihara & Noriyuki Yanagawa, 2013. "Dark Sides of Patent Pools with Compulsory Independent Licensing," CARF F-Series CARF-F-318, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Thomas Jeitschko & Nanyun Zhang, 2011. "Patent Pools and Product Development," Working Papers 2011-02, Towson University, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2011.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Yassine Lefouili, 2013. "Cross-Licensing and Competition," Working Papers 13-11, NET Institute.
- Arijit Mukherjee, 2013. "Patent pool under endogenous technology choice," Discussion Paper Series 2013_07, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Jul 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.