The mechanics of production networks in Southeast Asia: the fragmentation theory approach
AbstractSoutheast Asia is truly a unique area in that it deeply gets involved with sophisticated international production networks extended to the whole East Asia. This chapter provides an overview on the current status of economic analysis on this issue, placing its emphasis on the newly developed fragmentation theory approach. The two-dimensional fragmentation model is introduced and employed for disentangling the mechanics of production networks as well as the spatial structure of networking in East Asia. Profound policy implication for further activating production networks and economic development in Southeast Asia and other less developed countries is also discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series CEI Working Paper Series with number 2007-8.
Length: 40 p.
Date of creation: Jul 2007
Date of revision:
Note: March 2007 (revised); May 2007 (re-revised), IDE Kuroiwa Project "Economic integration in Southeast Asia: location of industries, production network (or value chain) and development strategy", References: p. 32-34
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2-1 Naka, Kunitachi, Tokyo 186-8603
Web page: http://cei.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-08-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-NET-2007-08-18 (Network Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2007-08-18 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kimura, Fukunari & Ando, Mitsuyo, 2005. "Two-dimensional fragmentation in East Asia: Conceptual framework and empirics," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 317-348.
- Kimura, Fukunari & Takahashi, Yuya & Hayakawa, Kazunobu, 2007. "Fragmentation and parts and components trade: Comparison between East Asia and Europe," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 23-40, February.
- Fukunari KIMURA, 2006. "International Production and Distribution Networks in East Asia: Eighteen Facts, Mechanics, and Policy Implications," Asian Economic Policy Review, Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 1(2), pages 326-344.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Matthew S. Yiu & Kenneth K. Chow, 2009.
"A Factor Analysis of Trade Integration: The Case of Asian and Oceanic Economies,"
132009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Matthew S. Yiu & Kenneth K. Chow, 2009. "A Factor Analysis of Trade Integration: the Case of Asian and Oceanic Economies," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 119, pages 5-23.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Reiko Suzuki).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.