Wavelet Improvement of the Over-rejection of Unit root test under GARCH errors
AbstractIn this paper, we use the wavelet technique to improve the over-rejection problem of the traditional Dickey-Fuller test for unit root when the data suffers from GARCH (1,1) effect. The logic is based on that the wavelet spectrum decomposition can separate out information of different frequencies in the data series. We prove that the asymptotic distribution of our test is similar to the traditional Dickey-Fuller(1979 and 1981) type of tests. The small sample distribution of the new test is assessed by means of Monte Carlo simulation. An empirical example with data on immigration to Sweden during the period 1950 to 2000 is used to illustrate the test. The results reveal that using the traditional Dickey-Fuller type of test, the unit root is rejected while our wavelet improved test shows the opposite result.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Labour Market Policy Research (CAFO), School of Business and Economics, Linnaeus University in its series CAFO Working Papers with number 2009:7.
Length: 9 pages
Date of creation: 26 Feb 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Labour Market Policy Research (CAFO), School of Business and Economics, Linnaeus University, SE 351 95 Växjö, Sweden
Phone: +46 470 70 87 64
Web page: http://lnu.se/research-groups/cafo?l=en
More information through EDIRC
Dickey-Fuller test; GARCH (1:1); Wavelet spectrum decomposition; MODWT;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-03-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2009-03-07 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2009-03-07 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Seo, Byeongseon, 1999. "Distribution theory for unit root tests with conditional heteroskedasticity1," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 113-144, July.
- Ling, Shiqing & Li, W.K., 2003. "Asymptotic Inference For Unit Root Processes With Garch(1,1) Errors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(04), pages 541-564, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andreas Mångs).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.