Policy coordination in systems of innovation: A structural-functional analysis of regional industry support in Sweden
AbstractThe framework of regional innovation systems highlights the systemic nature of economic development and the importance of coordination of policy activities. Such coordination presupposes an understanding of the underlying problems and how they can be addressed. Generic problems in innovation systems refer to issues of lack of resources, negative lock-in, and structural or functional fragmentation. In spite of this, there are few good examples of systematic analyses of innovation systems that take into account both structural and functional properties of the system. This paper addresses this issue by offering a framework for analyzing innovation system problems, functions, activities, and actors and, based on this, offers insights with regard to the role of regional actors as coordinators of innovation system activities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy in its series CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers with number 2011/9.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 21 Oct 2011
Date of revision:
Regional innovation systems; innovation policy; systemic problems;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2011-11-01 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-GEO-2011-11-01 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INO-2011-11-01 (Innovation)
- NEP-SBM-2011-11-01 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-URE-2011-11-01 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Isaksen, Arne & Nilsson, Magnus, 2011. "Linking scientific and practical knowledge in innovation systems," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2011/12, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Isaksen, Arne & Nilsson, Magnus, 2012. "Combined Innovation Policy: Linking Scientific and Practical Knowledge in Innovation Systems," 2012 International European Forum, February 13-17, 2012, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 144864, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Markus Grillitsch).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.