The Private Manufacturing Sector in Vietnam: An Analysis of the Winners
AbstractVietnam has witnessed a dynamic restructuring of its non-state enterprises since the initiation of market reforms in the late 1980s. Based on the results of 371 private sector enterprises surveyed in 1991 and 1997, this paper analyses the transformation of one category of resurveyed enterprises with the highest growth - the fast growing in the period 1991-97. The performance of these fast growing enterprises are examined, separately for urban and rural, in terms of various internal and external determinants to the survival and growth of firms. These include organisational form, line of activity, enterprise history, entrepreneurial characteristics, scale of operations, employment, linkages - forward, backward and horizontal; production relations, continuity of operations, government assistance etc. in 1990-91 and 1996-97 and the changes in the intervening period. It is found that the fast growing enterprises have undergone enormous changes and displayed remarkable flexibility in facing the challenges of uncertainty in the changing economic environment of Vietnam.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 251.
Length: 74 pages
Date of creation: 31 Aug 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Small scale industries; private sector development; Vietnam;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1998-09-07 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tran, Thi Bich & Grafton, Quentin & Kompas, Tom, 2009. "Contribution of productivity and firm size to value-added: Evidence from Vietnam," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(1), pages 274-285, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.