The Anatomy and Dynamics of Small Scale Private Manufacturing in Vietnam
AbstractThe private manufacturing sector has been called upon to play a key role in the transformation and development of the Vietnamese economy since the launching of market oriented reforms a decade ago. Drawing on a comprehensive survey in 1997 of some 500 non-state manufacturing enterprises in Vietnam, the present study provides an in-depth analysis of the economic and operational characteristics of the enterprises in this sector. Their development track and growth constraints, linkages with other sectors of the economy, and role as a source of employment and income generation are among the aspects examined in particular detail. The analysis of the dynamics of this sector is based on a comparison of the results of the present survey with those of an almost identical survey undertaken in 1991.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 236.
Length: 161 pages
Date of creation: 07 May 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Small scale industries; private sector development; Vietnam;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tran, Thi Bich & Grafton, Quentin & Kompas, Tom, 2009. "Contribution of productivity and firm size to value-added: Evidence from Vietnam," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(1), pages 274-285, September.
- John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 2002. "The Central Role of Entrepreneurs in Transition Economies," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 153-170, Summer.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.