The insurance industry in Brazil: a long-term view
AbstractThis paper surveys the formation and development of insurance business in Brazil. It describes its origins, from the colonial times and imperial era to recent events. Particular attention is given to regulatory changes, showing how they evolved in response to macroeconomic shocks that affected the Brazilian economy during this period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Harvard Business School in its series Harvard Business School Working Papers with number 10-109.
Length: 39 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Insurance; Brazil; Regulation;
Other versions of this item:
- MArcelo de Paiva Abreu & Felipe Tamega Fernandes, 2010. "The insurance industry in Brazil: a long-term view," Textos para discussÃ£o 572, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies; Actuarial Studies
- G38 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- L50 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - General
- N46 - Economic History - - Government, War, Law, International Relations, and Regulation - - - Latin America; Caribbean
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2010-06-18 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-IAS-2010-06-18 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-LAM-2010-06-18 (Central & South America)
- NEP-REG-2010-06-18 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Huang, Wei & Eling, Martin, 2013. "An efficiency comparison of the non-life insurance industry in the BRIC countries," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(3), pages 577-591.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Soebagio Notosoehardjo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.