Innovation, structural change and productivity growth. Evidence from Italian regions, 1980-2003
AbstractThis paper develops a Schumpeterian approach to structural change, by grafting the role of business cycles and creative destruction into the growth retardation theory. The context of the empirical analysis is represented by the growth path of 20 Italian regions over the period 1981-2003, in the light of the transition towards the knowledge-based economy. The results strongly support our hypotheses: (i) early-industrialised areas are fully involved in the generalised movement towards the knowledge-based economy; (ii) due to the delayed expansion of manufacturing activities in late-industrialised areas, productivity growth and innovation takes place within manufacturing sectors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number halshs-00727621.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Cambridge Journal of Economics, 2009, 33, 1001-1022
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00727621
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Structural change; Growth retardation; Innovation;
Other versions of this item:
- Francesco Quatraro, 2009. "Innovation, structural change and productivity growth: evidence from Italian regions, 1980--2003," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(5), pages 1001-1022, September.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francesco Quatraro, 2011.
"ICT Capital and Services Complementarities. The Italian Evidence,"
- Francesco Quatraro, 2011. "ICT capital and services complementarities: the Italian evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(20), pages 2603-2613.
- Antonelli, Cristiano & Crespi, Francesco & Scellato, Giuseppe, 2012. "Internal and external factors in innovation persistence," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 201211, University of Turin.
- Andrea Cammelli, 2012. "Consolidamento ed eterogeneità nelle esperienze di studio dei laureati italiani," Working Papers 49, AlmaLaurea Inter-University Consortium.
- Francesco Quatraro, 2012. "The Co-Evolution of Knowledge and Economic Structure: Evidence from European Regions," GREDEG Working Papers 2012-16, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Économie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis.
- M. Carree & A. Della Malva & E. Santarelli, 2011. "The Contribution of Universities to Growth: Empirical Evidence for Italy," Working Papers wp793, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Cristiano Antonelli & Francesco Quatraro, 2010.
"The effects of biased technological change on total factor productivity: empirical evidence from a sample of OECD countries,"
The Journal of Technology Transfer,
Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 361-383, August.
- Antonelli, Cristiano & Quatraro, Francesco, 2008. "The Effects of Biased Technological Change on Total Factor Productivity. Empirical Evidence from a Sample of OECD Countries," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200806, University of Turin.
- Cristiano Antonelli & Francesco Quatraro, 2010. "The Effects of Biased Technological Change on Total Factor Productivity. Empirical Evidence from a Sample of OECD Countries," Post-Print halshs-00727618, HAL.
- Alessandra Colombelli & Francesco Quatraro, 2013. "New Firm Formation and the properties of local knowledge bases: Evidence from Italian NUTS 3 regions," Working Papers hal-00858989, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.