Controlling managers' 'becoming': the practice of identity regulation
AbstractI explore here the process of controlling managers 'becoming' through the practices of identity regulation. My focus is on how identity regulation is performed through individuals' concrete actions. Through a qualitative longitudinal study on managerial training, three contributions are offered. Identity regulation discourses are performed through micro-practices showing that identity regulation is far from being a top-down process; identity regulation practices are sustained by "side" practices which secure organizational members' participation and enactment of these discourses; finally, identity work is not only an autonomous and individual process and it can be a deliberate target of identity regulation practices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number hal-00849533.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Materiality and Space, Palgrave (Ed.), 2013, 314-340
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00849533
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Identity Regulation; Identity;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mats Alvesson, 2002. "Identity Regulation as Organizational Control: Producing the Appropriate Individual," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(5), pages 619-644, 07.
- Empson, Laura, 2004. "Organizational identity change: managerial regulation and member identification in an accounting firm acquisition," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 759-781, November.
- Gendron, Yves & Spira, Laura F., 2010. "Identity narratives under threat: A study of former members of Arthur Andersen," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 275-300, April.
- Andrew D. Brown, 2006. "A Narrative Approach to Collective Identities," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(4), pages 731-753, 06.
- Gill Musson & Joanne Duberley, 2007. "Change, Change or Be Exchanged: The Discourse of Participation and the Manufacture of Identity," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 143-164, 01.
- Patrizia Zanoni & Maddy Janssens, 2007. "Minority Employees Engaging with (Diversity) Management: An Analysis of Control, Agency, and Micro-Emancipation," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(8), pages 1371-1397, December.
- Whittington, Richard, 2011. "The practice turn in organization research: Towards a disciplined transdisciplinarity," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 183-186, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.