A Disequilibrium Model of International Capital Mobility
AbstractPaper presented at the 2nd Annual Conference on Global Economics Analysis, Denmark, June 20-22. The paper proposes a new disequilibrium approach to modeling international capital mobility for a dynamic multi- region general equilibrium model. Key to this approach are errors in investors’ assessments of potential returns to capital, such as those recently observed in Asia. The investment theory, compatible with a simple recursive solution procedure, ensures the convergence of the model towards a stable equilibrium, brings realism into the analysis of international capital mobility and flexibility in tailoring to empirical data. The paper discusses two numerical examples, demonstrating the long- run convergence of the model and the dynamic adjustment to a deeper, longer crisis in Asia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University in its series GTAP Working Papers with number 399.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Note: GTAP Working Paper No. 10
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1145 Krannert Building, West Lafayette, IN 47907-1145
Phone: (765) 494-4267
Fax: 765 494-9176
Web page: http://www.gtap.agecon.purdue.edu/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Brown, D.K. & Stern, R.M., 1999.
"Measurement and Modeling of the Economic Effects of Trade and Investment Barriers in Services,"
Working Papers, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan
453, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Brown, Drusilla K & Stern, Robert M, 2001. "Measurement and Modeling of the Economic Effects of Trade and Investment Barriers in Services," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 262-86, May.
- Drusilla K. Brown & Robert M. Stern, 2000. "Measurement and Modeling of the Economic Effects of Trade and Investment Barriers in Services," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0001, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Lemelin, André & Robichaud, Véronique & Decaluwé, Bernard, 2013. "Endogenous current account balances in a world CGE model with international financial assets," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 146-160.
- Robert M. Stern, 2000. "Quantifying Barriers to Trade in Services," Working Papers, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan 470, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Ianchovichina, Elena & McDougall, Robert & Hertel, Thomas W., 1999. "The East Asian Crisis: A Dynamic Computable General Equilibrium Analysis," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) 21587, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Philip Abbott & Jeanet Bentzen & Finn Tarp, 2007. "Vietnam’s Accession to the WTO: Lessons from Past Trade Agreements," Discussion Papers, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics 07-06, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Das, Gouranga Gopal & Alavalapati, Janaki, 2001. "Trade-mediated biotechnology transfer and its effective absorption: an application to the U.S. forestry sector," MPRA Paper 37254, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Feb 2002.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jeremy Douglas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.