The determinants of innovation adoption
AbstractUsing a sample of 46 000 EU firms from the Community Innovation Survey, this paper analyses the drivers of innovation adoption. In contrast to most empirical studies on innovation diffusion in which a specific technology is analyzed, this study covers several countries and industries in the European Union. Following Van de Ven and Van Praag (1981), Heckman’s method is applied in a context of binary endogenous variable to explain the choices made by firms regarding innovation. Distinctions are made between the internal generation of innovation and the adoption of innovation produced by others, as well as between different types of adoption (product vs. process and cooperation-based adoption vs. isolated adoption). The study is focused on the impact of users’ features and their cooperation with suppliers on the adoption choices. The results point out that cooperation is a key driver of adoption choices. Usual determinants such as firm size, absorptive capability or exports would foster generation of innovation instead of adoption.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure in its series Working Papers with number 1034.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 93, chemin des Mouilles - B.P.167 69131 - Ecully cedex
Phone: 33(0)472 29 30 89
Fax: 33(0)47229 30 90
Web page: http://www.gate.cnrs.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Innovation adoption; Innovation diffusion; Community Innovation Survey; Process adoption; Product adoption;
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2011-01-03 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EUR-2011-01-03 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-INO-2011-01-03 (Innovation)
- NEP-NET-2011-01-03 (Network Economics)
- NEP-SBM-2011-01-03 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-TID-2011-01-03 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jordi SuriÃ±ach & Corinne Autant-Bernard & Fabio Manca & Nadine Massard & Rosina Moreno, 2009. "The diffusion/adoption of innovation in the internal market," European Economy - Economic Papers 384, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Cilem Selin Hazir, 2011. "Conceptualizing the Role of Geographical Proximity in Project Based R&D Networks: A Literature Survey," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1616, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nelly Wirth).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.