How Many Trademarks Does it Take to Protect a Brand? The Optimal Number of Trademarks, Branding Strategy and Brand Performance
AbstractThis research addresses the question of how many registered trademarks are optimal to protect a brand. By assigning property rights in brand names, trademarks give firms the ability to protect their brands from free riders. The optimal number of trademarks depends on factors that affect expected infringement losses: the likelihood of infringement times the loss to the brand's owner if infringement occurs.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by U.S. Department of Justice - Antitrust Division in its series Papers with number 01-2.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: U.S. DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE; ANTITRUST DIVISION, JUDICIARY CENTER BUILDING 555 4TH ST. N.W. WASHINGTON D.C. 20001 U.S.A..
Web page: http://www.justice.gov/atr/
More information through EDIRC
TRADEMARKS ; BRAND ; PRODUCTS ; PROPERTY RIGHTS;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- K22 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - Business and Securities Law
- K11 - Law and Economics - - Basic Areas of Law - - - Property Law
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carsten Fink & Beata Smarzynska Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2005.
"Income-Related Biases in International Trade: What Do Trademark Registration Data Tell Us?,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 141(1), pages 79-103, April.
- Carsten Fink & Javorcik,Beata & Mariana Spatareanu, 2003. "Income-related biases in international trade : what do trademark registration data tell us?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3150, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.