The Effect of the Big Eight Accounting Firm Mergers on the Market for Audit Services
AbstractThe research assesses how the two Big Eight mergers of 1989 affected the market for audit services. A data set of 1,978 firms over a 12-year period is used to test four theories of how the mergers could have affected competition and consumer welfare. The study finds that the mergers reduced the marginal costs of auditing large clients. There is no evidence that the mergers were anticompetitive or that they reduced costs for all types of audit buyers.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by U.S. Department of Justice - Antitrust Division in its series Papers with number 00-2.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: U.S. DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE; ANTITRUST DIVISION, JUDICIARY CENTER BUILDING 555 4TH ST. N.W. WASHINGTON D.C. 20001 U.S.A..
Web page: http://www.justice.gov/atr/
More information through EDIRC
MERGERS ; AUDITING ; ENTERPRISES;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
- M40 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.