Channels of Interstate Risksharing: U.S. 1963-1990
AbstractWe develop a framework for quantifying the amount of risksharing among states in the US, and construct data which allow us to decompose a shock to gross state product into several components. For the period 1963-1990 we find that 40% of shocks to state gross domestic product are smoothed by capital markets, 14% are smoothed by the federal government, and 24% are smoothed by credit markets. The remaining 22% are not smoothed. We decompose the federal government smoothing into sub-categories: taxes, transfers, and grants to states, finding, for example, that in comparision to the tax-transfer system, the magnitude of smoothing through the grant system is small (2.7% of a shock), and that the unemployment insurance system smoothes 1.8% of a shock. Finally, we repeat the analysis for two sub-periods, finding that the amount and composition of federal government smoothing is stable through time. However, we detect an increase in the amount of capital markets smoothing, a sharp decrease in the amount of credit market smoothing, and a decrease in the overall fraction of a shock smoothed.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tel Aviv in its series Papers with number 07-95.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Israel TEL-AVIV UNIVERSITY, THE FOERDER INSTITUTE FOR ECONOMIC RESEARCH, RAMAT AVIV 69 978 TEL AVIV ISRAEL.
Web page: http://econ.tau.ac.il/research/foerder.asp
More information through EDIRC
risk ; states ; government policy;
Other versions of this item:
- P. Asdrubali & Bent E. S�rensen & Oved Yosha, 1995. "Channels of Interstate Risksharing : US 1963-1990," Working Papers 95-13, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Bent E. Soerensen & Pierfederico Asdrubali & Oved Yosha, . "Channels of Interstate Risksharing: US 1963-1990," EPRU Working Paper Series 95-04, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ridhwan, M.M. & Nijkamp, P. & Rietveld, P. & Groot, H.L.F. de, 2008.
"Regional development and monetary policy : a review of the role of monetary unions, capital mobility and locational effects,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0007, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Ridhwan, M.M. & Nijkamp, P. & Rietveld, P., 2008. "Regional development and monetary policy : a review of the role of monetary unions, capital mobility and locational effects," Serie Research Memoranda 0007, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Tullio Jappelli & Marco Pagano, 2008.
"Financial Market Integration Under EMU,"
CSEF Working Papers
197, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Tullio Jappelli & Marco Pagano, 2008. "Financial Market Integration under EMU," European Economy - Economic Papers 312, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Jappelli, Tullio & Pagano, Marco, 2008. "Financial market integration under EMU," CFS Working Paper Series 2008/33, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Jappelli, Tullio & Pagano, Marco, 2008. "Financial Market Integration Under EMU," CEPR Discussion Papers 7091, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip Lane, 1998.
"International Diversification and the Irish Economy,"
Economics Technical Papers
9811, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Philip R. Lane, 2000. "International Diversification and the Irish Economy," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 31(1), pages 37-53.
- S. Bucovetsky, 1997. "Insurance and Incentive Effects of Transfers among Regions: Equity and Efficiency," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 463-483, November.
- Akito Matsumoto & Robert P. Flood & Nancy P. Marion, 2009.
"International Risk Sharing During the Globalization Era,"
IMF Working Papers
09/209, International Monetary Fund.
- Robert P. Flood & Nancy P. Marion & Akito Matsumoto, 2012. "International risk sharing during the globalization era," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 45(2), pages 394-416, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.