International Diversification and the Irish Economy
AbstractWe take an initial step in investigating the international diverisfication of Irish production risk. We find evidence that Ireland displays some properties associated with international risk sharing. These include: high cross stocks of foreign assets and liabilities; high international consumption correlations relative to output correlations; and procyclical behaviour of the rate of return on net external liabilities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics in its series Economics Technical Papers with number 9811.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Philip R. Lane, 2000. "International Diversification and the Irish Economy," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 31(1), pages 37-53.
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:esr:forcas:mtr06 is not listed on IDEAS
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1994.
"Are Industrial-Country Consumption Risks Globally Diversified?,"
NBER Working Papers
4308, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld., 1993. "Are Industrial-Country Consumption Risks Globally Diversified?," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C93-014, University of California at Berkeley.
- Asdrubali, P. & Sorensen, B.E. & Yosha, O., 1995.
"Channels of Interstate Risksharing: U.S. 1963-1990,"
07-95, Tel Aviv.
- P. Asdrubali & Bent E. S�rensen & Oved Yosha, 1995. "Channels of Interstate Risksharing : US 1963-1990," Working Papers 95-13, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Bent E. Soerensen & Pierfederico Asdrubali & Oved Yosha, . "Channels of Interstate Risksharing: US 1963-1990," EPRU Working Paper Series 95-04, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Devereux, Michael B. & Gregory, Allan W. & Smith, Gregor W., 1992.
"Realistic cross-country consumption correlations in a two-country, equilibrium, business cycle model,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 3-16, February.
- Michael B. Devereux & Allan W. Gregory & Gregor W. Smith, 1990. "Realistic Cross-Country Consumption Correlations in a Two-Country, Equilibrium, Business Cycle Model," Working Papers 774, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981.
"Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation,"
451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Baxter, M., 1994.
"International Trade and Business Cycles,"
RCER Working Papers
390, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Bradley, John & FitzGerald, John & Storey, R. A., 1987. "Medium-Term Review 1987-1992, No. 2," Forecasting Report, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number MTR02, March.
- Devereux, Michael B. & Saito, Makoto, 1997. "Growth and risk-sharing with incomplete international assets markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 453-481, May.
- Michael B. Devereux & Gregor W. Smith, 1991.
"International Risk Sharing and Economic Growth,"
829, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Hess, Gregory D & Shin, Kwanho, 1997. "International and Intranational Business Cycles," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(3), pages 93-109, Autumn.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1989. "How Integrated are World Capital Markets? Some New Tests," NBER Working Papers 2075, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David K. Backus & Patrick J. Kehoe & Finn E. Kydland, 1991.
"International real business cycles,"
146, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Baxter, Marianne, 1995. "International trade and business cycles," Handbook of International Economics, in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 35, pages 1801-1864 Elsevier.
- repec:esr:forcas:mtr02 is not listed on IDEAS
- Daron Acemoglu & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 1994.
"Was Prometheus unbound by chance? Risk, diversification and growth,"
Economics Working Papers
98, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 1997. "Was Prometheus Unbound by Chance? Risk, Diversification, and Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(4), pages 709-51, August.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 1996. "Was Prometheus Unbound by Chance? Risk, Diversification and Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 1426, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip Lane, 2001.
"Do international investment income flows smooth income?,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 137(4), pages 714-736, December.
- Lane, Philip R., 1999. "Do International Investment Income Flows Smooth Income?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2123, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Milesi-Ferretti, G-M & Razin, A, 1996. "Current-Account Sustainability," Princeton Studies in International Economics 81, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Duffy, David & FitzGerald, John & Kearney, Ide & Shortall, Fergal, 1997. "Medium-Term Review 1997-2003, No. 6," Forecasting Report, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number MTR06, March.
- Cantillon, Sara & Curtis, John A. & FitzGerald, John, 1994. "Economic Perspectives for the Medium Term," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number BMI84.
- Sorensen, Bent E & Wu, Yi-Tsung & Yosha, Oved & Zhu, Yu, 2005.
"Home Bias and International Risk Sharing: Twin Puzzles Separated at Birth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5113, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sorensen, Bent E. & Wu, Yi-Tsung & Yosha, Oved & Zhu, Yu, 2007. "Home bias and international risk sharing: Twin puzzles separated at birth," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 587-605, June.
- Philip R. Lane, 2003.
"The Macroeconomics of International Financial Trade,"
Trinity Economics Papers
200314, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Philip Lane, 2003. "The Macroeconomics of International Financial Trade," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp013, IIIS.
- Lane, Philip R., 2003. "Financial Globalisation and the Irish Economy," Quarterly Economic Commentary: Special Articles, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), vol. 2003(1-Spring), pages 1-10.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Hughes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.