Statistical Modeling of Asymetric Risk in Asset Returns
AbstractThe purpose of this article is to provide a straightforward model for asset returns which captures the fundamental asymmetry in upward versus downward returns. We model this feature by using scale gamma distributions for the conditional distributions of positive and negative returns. By allowing the parameters for positive returns to differ from parameters for negative returns we can test the hypothesis of symmetry. Some applications of this process to expected utility and semi-variance calculations are considered. Finally we estimate the model using daily UK FT100 index and Futures data.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Saskatchewan - Department of Economics in its series Papers with number 95-3.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: UNIVERSITY OF SASKATCHEWAN, DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS, SASKATOON SASKATCHEWAN S7N 0W0 CANADA.
Phone: (306) 966-5197
Fax: (306) 966-5232
Web page: http://www.arts.usask.ca/economics/
More information through EDIRC
risk ; economic models;
Other versions of this item:
- J. L. Knight & S. E. Satchell & K. C. Tran, 1995. "Statistical modelling of asymmetric risk in asset returns," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(3), pages 155-172.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stephen E. Satchell & Shaun A. Bond, 2004. "Asymmetry, Loss Aversion and Forecasting," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 160, Econometric Society.
- Ba Chu, 2012. "Approximation of Asymmetric Multivariate Return Distributions," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 293-318, September.
- Stephen Satchell & George Christodoulakis, 1996.
"The Simulation of Option Prices with Application to LIFFE Options on Futures,"
Archive Working Papers
007, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Christodoulakis, George A. & Satchell, Stephen E., 1999. "The simulation of option prices with application to LIFFE options on futures," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 249-262, April.
- Davies, G.B. & Satchell, S.E., 2004. "The Behavioural Components of Risk Aversion," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0458, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Spyros Skouras, 2001.
"Decisionmetrics: A Decision-Based Approach to Econometric Modeling,"
01-11-064, Santa Fe Institute.
- Skouras, Spyros, 2007. "Decisionmetrics: A decision-based approach to econometric modelling," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 414-440, April.
- Soosung Hwang & Christian Pedersen, 2002. "On Empirical Risk Measurement with Asymmetric Returns Data," Working Papers wp02-03, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Stephen Satchell & David Damant & Soosung Hwang, 2000. "Exponential risk measure with application to UK asset allocation," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 127-152.
- Hwang, Soosung & Pedersen, Christian S., 2004. "Asymmetric risk measures when modelling emerging markets equities: evidence for regional and timing effects," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 109-128, March.
- Shaun Bond & Stephen Satchell, 2006. "Asymmetry and downside risk in foreign exchange markets," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 313-332.
- John Knight & Colin Lizieri & Stephen Satchell, 2005. "Diversification When It Hurts? The Joint Distributions of Real Estate and Equity Markets," Real Estate & Planning Working Papers rep-wp2005-16, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Stefania D'Amico, 2005. "Density selection and combination under model ambiguity: an application to stock returns," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-09, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Farah, N. & Satchell, S.E., 2003. "A Loss Aversion Performance Measure," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0333, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Emmanuel Acar & Stephen Satchell, 1997. "A theoretical analysis of trading rules: an application to the moving average case with Markovian returns," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 165-180.
- Chu, Ba & Knight, John & Satchell, Stephen, 2011. "Large deviations theorems for optimal investment problems with large portfolios," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(3), pages 533-555, June.
- Davies, G.B. & Satchell, S.E., 2004. "Continuous Cumulative Prospect Theory and Individual Asset Allocation," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0467, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Alessio Sancetta, 2004.
"Copula Based Monte Carlo Integration in Financial Problems,"
wp04-02, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Sancetta, A., 2005. "Copula Based Monte Carlo Integration in Financial Problems," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0506, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Stefania D'Amico, 2004. "Density Estimation and Combination under Model Ambiguity," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 273, Society for Computational Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.