Deregulation and the Adaption of Governance Structures: The Case of the U.S. Airline Industry
AbstractDeregulation provides a natural experiment for examining how governance adapts to structural changes in the business environment. We investigate the evolution of governance struture -- ownership concentration, compensation policy, and board composition -- in the U.S. airline industry during a 22 year period surrounding the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978.Consistent wit theory, we find that after deregulation (i) equity ownership is more concentrated, (ii) CEO pay increases, (iii) stock option grants to CEO's increase , and (iV) board size decreases.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Rochester, Business - Financial Research and Policy Studies in its series Papers with number 97-05.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: UNIVERSITY OF ROCHESTER, WILLIAM E. SIMON GRADUATE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION, Bradley Policy Research Center, ROCHESTER NEW YORK 14627 U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.simon.rochester.edu/
More information through EDIRC
REGULATION ; AIRLINE INDUSTRY;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G38 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- J33 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Compensation Packages; Payment Methods
- L93 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Air Transportation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.