Costly Financing, Optimal Payout Policies and the Valuation of Corporate Debt
AbstractWe present a cash-flow based model of corporate debt valuation that incorporates two novel features. First, we allow for the separation and optimal determination of the firm's debt-service and dividend policies; in particular, the firm is allowed to maintain cash reserves to meet future debt obligations. Second, our model admits the possibility that raising resources through issuance of new equity could be a costly procedure. In contrast, much of the previous literature has considered only dividend polices that are the "residual" consequences of debt-service policy, and has assumed new equity issuance costs are either zero or infinite.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business- in its series New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires with number 99-048.
Date of creation: 31 Jul 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: U.S.A.; New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics . 44 West 4th Street. New York, New York 10012-1126
Phone: (212) 998-0100
Web page: http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/finance/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2000-10-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2000-10-31 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-FIN-2000-10-31 (Finance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Acharya, Viral V & Almeida, Heitor & Campello, Murillo, 2005.
"Is Cash Negative Debt? A Hedging Perspective on Corporate Financial Policies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4886, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Acharya, Viral V. & Almeida, Heitor & Campello, Murillo, 2007. "Is cash negative debt? A hedging perspective on corporate financial policies," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 515-554, October.
- Viral V. Acharya & Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello, 2005. "Is Cash Negative Debt? A Hedging Perspective on Corporate Financial Policies," NBER Working Papers 11391, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Viral V. Acharya & Jennifer N. Carpenter, 2002.
"Corporate Bond Valuation and Hedging with Stochastic Interest Rates and Endogenous Bankruptcy,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(5), pages 1355-1383.
- Acharya, Viral V & Carpenter, Jennifer, 2002. "Corporate Bond Valuation and Hedging with Stochastic Interest Rates and Endogenous Bankruptcy," CEPR Discussion Papers 3328, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Reneby, Joel & Ericsson, Jan, 2001. "The Valuation of Corporate Liabilities: Theory and Tests," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 445, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 19 Dec 2002.
- Abel Elizalde, 2006. "Credit Risk Models Ii: Structural Models," Working Papers wp2006_0606, CEMFI.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.