Culture, Politics and Innovation: Creamery Diffusion in late 19th Century Denmark and Ireland
AbstractThis paper tries to be the first step in a systematic comparison of economic growth in Denmark and Ireland between 1870 and 1939. Section 2 ofthis paper sets the scene by discussing broader trends of living standards and agricultural productivity. Section 3 outlines the developments in the dairying industry which is so disturbed contemporary Irishmen. Section 4 surveys the large contemporary and historical literature dealing with the causes of relative Irish failure. Section 5 uses evidence on the diffuson of creamery cooperatives across Irish counties to asses some of these arguments.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by College Dublin, Department of Political Economy- in its series Papers with number 99/23.
Length: 48 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Ireland; University College Dublin, Department of Political Economy, Centre for Economic Research, Belfield, Dublin 4
Fax: +353-1-283 0068
Web page: http://www.ucd.ie/economics/
More information through EDIRC
ECONOMIC HISTORY ; AGRICULTURE ; INNOVATIONS;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q16 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - R&D; Agricultural Technology; Biofuels; Agricultural Extension Services
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- N53 - Economic History - - Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment and Extractive Industries - - - Europe: Pre-1913
- N54 - Economic History - - Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment and Extractive Industries - - - Europe: 1913-
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kevin H. O'Rourke, 2001.
"Culture, politics and innovation: evidence from the creameries,"
Trinity Economics Papers
200120, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- O'Rourke, Kevin H, 2002. "Culture, Politics and Innovation: Evidence from the Creameries," CEPR Discussion Papers 3235, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Keefer, Philip, 2004. "A review of the political economy of governance : from property rights to voice," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3315, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.