Capital Recommitment and Competition in Supply Schedules
AbstractAlthough the Cournot and Bertrand equilibrium concepts have dominated economic analysis of oligopoly problems, neither has a compelling theoretical rationale. However, notions of capacity commitment have been used to rationalize the Cournot equilibrium. At the same time, the idea of competition in supply schedules under uncertainty has been used by Paul D. Klemperer and Margaret A. Meyer (1989) to derive an equilibrium concept intermediate between Cournot and Bertrand. In this paper, the authors combine these two approaches and show that under the assumptions of Cobb-Douglas technology and constant elasticity demand, an equilibrium in markups can result. Copyright 1996 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Australian National University - Department of Economics in its series Papers with number 280.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: THE AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY, DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS, RESEARCH SCHOOL of PACIFIC STUDIES, RESEARCH SCHOOL OF SOCIAL SCIENCES, G.P.O. 4, CANBERRA ACT 2601 AUSTRALIA..O. BOX 4 CANBERRA 2601 AUSTRALIA.
Web page: http://economics.anu.edu.au/economics.htm
More information through EDIRC
economic models ; competition ; game theory;
Other versions of this item:
- Grant, Simon & Quiggin, John, 1996. "Capital Precommitment and Competition in Supply Schedules," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(4), pages 427-41, December.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- de Frutos, María-Ángeles & Fabra, Natalia, 2011.
"Endogenous capacities and price competition: The role of demand uncertainty,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 399-411, July.
- de Frutos, Maria-Angeles & Fabra, Natalia, 2007. "Endogenous Capacities and Price Competition: The Role of Demand Uncertainty," CEPR Discussion Papers 6096, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tina Kao & Flavio Menezes & John Quiggin, 2014.
"Optimal access regulation with downstream competition,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 75-93, February.
- Kao, Tina & Menezes, Flavio & Quiggin, John, 2012. "Optimal access regulation with downstream competition," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 151201, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Flavio Menezes & John Quiggin & Tina Kao, 2012. "Optimal Access Regulation with Downstream Competition," Discussion Papers Series 473, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Bolle, Friedel, 2008.
"Over- and under-investment according to different benchmarks,"
265, European University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder), Department of Business Administration and Economics.
- Friedel Bolle, 2011. "Over- and under-investment according to different benchmarks," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 104(3), pages 219-238, November.
- Bulut, Harun & Koray, Semih, 2008. "Competition and Regulation Via Supply and Demand Functions in Oligopolistic-Oligopsonistic Markets," Staff General Research Papers 12930, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Menezes, Flavio & Quiggin, John, 2011.
"More Competitors or more Competition? Market Concentration and the Intensity of Competition,"
Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers
151195, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Menezes, Flavio M. & Quiggin, John, 2012. "More competitors or more competition? Market concentration and the intensity of competition," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(3), pages 712-714.
- Menezes, Flavio & Quiggin, John, 2011. "Intensity of Competition and the Number of Competitors," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 151197, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Massimo Motta & Michele Polo, . "Product differentiation and endogenous mode of competition," Working Papers 134, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Menezes, Flavio & Quiggin, John, 2013. "Inferring the strategy space from market outcomes," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 151206, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Kao, Tina & Menezes, Flavio & Quiggin, John, 2012. "Meeting the Competition: Commitment and Competitive Behavior," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 151205, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Stefan Reichelstein & Anna Rohlfing-Bastian, 2014. "Levelized Product Cost: Concept and Decision Relevance," CESifo Working Paper Series 4590, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.