Technological change and price effects in agriculture
AbstractThis paper addresses the conceptual issues around the negative price effects of technological change on agricultural producers, explores price policy options vis-à-vis this problem, and reviews and compares experiences across Asian countries as they transformed their rural economies. It then draws implications for the challenge of achieving a smallholder-led agricultural revolution in Africa in the context of market liberalization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series MTID discussion papers with number 62.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Small farmers ; technicological change ; market prices ;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Feleke, Shiferaw & Zegeye, Tesfaye, 2006. "Adoption of improved maize varieties in Southern Ethiopia: Factors and strategy options," Food Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 442-457, October.
- Valenzuela, Ernesto & Hertel, Thomas W., 2006. "Poverty Vulnerability and Trade Policy: Are the Likely Impacts Discernable?," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) 21397, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Shahidur Rashid, 2004.
"Spatial Integration of Maize Markets in Post-liberalised Uganda,"
Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE),
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 13(1), pages 102-133, March.
- Rashid, Shahidur, 2004. "Spatial integration of maize markets in post-liberalized Uganda," MTID discussion papers, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) 71, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Barrett, C. B. & Heisey, K. C., 2002. "How effectively does multilateral food aid respond to fluctuating needs?," Food Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 27(5-6), pages 477-491.
- Olwande, John & Mathenge, Mary K., 2012. "Market Participation among Poor Rural Households in Kenya," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil, International Association of Agricultural Economists 126711, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Spielman, David J., 2007. "Pro-poor agricultural biotechnology: Can the international research system deliver the goods?," Food Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 189-204, April.
- Barrett, Christopher B., 2002. "Food Aid Effectiveness: "It'S The Targeting, Stupid!"," Working Papers, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management 14754, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Tai-Yoo Kim & Almas Heshmati & Jihyun Park, 2009. "Perspectives on the Decelerating Agricultural society," TEMEP Discussion Papers 200901, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Jan 2009.
- Abdulai, Awudu & Barrett, Christopher B. & Hazell, Peter, 2004. "Food aid for market development in Sub-Saharan Africa," DSGD discussion papers 5, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Barrett, Christopher B., 2008. "Smallholder market participation: Concepts and evidence from eastern and southern Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 299-317, August.
- Diao, Xinshen & Dorosh, Paul A. & Rahman, Shaikh Mahfuzur, 2003. "Market opportunities for African agriculture," DSGD discussion papers 1, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Crawford, Eric & Kelly, Valerie & Jayne, T. S. & Howard, Julie, 2003. "Input use and market development in Sub-Saharan Africa: an overview," Food Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 277-292, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.