Precondition for a Successful Implementation of Supervisors' Primpt Corrective Action: Is There a Case for a Banking Standard in the EU?
AbstractOver the past years, several countries around the world have adopted a system of prudential prompt corrective action (PCA). the European Union countries are being encouraged to adopt PCA by policy analysts who explicitly call for its adoption. To date, most of the discussion on PCA has focussed on its overall merits. This paper focuses on the preconditions needed for the adoption of an effective PCA. These precondtions include conceptual elements such as a prudential supervisory focus on minimizing deposit insurance losses and mandating supervisory action as capital declines. These preconditions also include institutional aspects such as greater supervisory independence and authority, more effective resolution mechanisms and better methods of meauring capital.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Financial Markets Group in its series FMG Special Papers with number sp165.
Date of creation: Mar 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/fmg/
Other versions of this item:
- María J. Nieto & Larry D. Wall, 2007. "Preconditions for a successful implementation of supervisors' Prompt Corrective Action: Is there a case for a banking standard in the EU?," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0702, Banco de Espa�a.
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- K23 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - Regulated Industries and Administrative Law
- F20 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-04-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2006-04-01 (European Economics)
- NEP-FMK-2006-04-01 (Financial Markets)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David G. Mayes & María J. Nieto & Larry Wall, 2008.
"Multiple safety net regulators and agency problems in the EU: Is Prompt Corrective Action partly the solution?,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
0819, Banco de Espa�a.
- Mayes, David G. & Nieto, María J. & Wall, Larry, 2008. "Multiple safety net regulators and agency problems in the EU: Is Prompt Corrective Action partly the solution?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 232-257, September.
- Sonia Ondo-Ndong & Laurence Scialom, 2008. "Northern Rock: The anatomy of a crisis – the prudential lessons," EconomiX Working Papers 2008-23, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Michael Koetter & Tigran Poghosyan & Thomas Kick, 2010.
"Recovery Determinants of Distressed Banks: Regulators, Market Discipline, or the Environment?,"
IMF Working Papers
10/27, International Monetary Fund.
- Kick, Thomas & Koetter, Michael & Poghosyan, Tigran, 2010. "Recovery determinants of distressed banks: Regulators, market discipline, or the environment?," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2010,02, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Kenneth Sullivan, 2008. "Presentación proactiva del desempeño," Boletín, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(3), pages 130-135, Julio-sep.
- Amadou N. R. Sy & Jorge A. Chan-Lau, 2006. "Distance-to-Default in Banking: A Bridge Too Far?," IMF Working Papers 06/215, International Monetary Fund.
- Maria J. Nieto & Garry J. Schinasi, 2008. "Towards an EU Framework for Safeguarding Financial Stability," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 6(3), pages 27-36, October.
- Donato Masciandaro & María J. Nieto & Henriëtte Prast, 2007.
"Financial governance of banking supervision,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
0725, Banco de Espa�a.
- Banco Central Europeo, 2008. "La titulización en la zona del euro," Boletín, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(3), pages 136-149, Julio-sep.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.