Survey evidence of tighter credit conditions: what does it mean?
AbstractSince early 1990, the results of the Federal Reserve Board's Senior Loan Officer Opinion Survey on Bank Lending Practices have been cited frequently as an indicator of general credit availability. Results from the Board's survey suggest that a considerable share of respondent banks were tightening their lending standards during 1990 and early 1991. How should these results be interpreted? This article attempts to answer this question by addressing the nature of the survey, examining the recent responses more closely and comparing recent results to past results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond in its series Working Paper with number 91-05.
Date of creation: 1991
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Stacey L. Schreft & Raymond E. Owens, 1991. "Survey evidence of tighter credit conditions: what does it mean?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Mar, pages 29-34.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stacey L. Schreft, 1990. "Credit controls: 1980," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Nov, pages 25-55.
- Thomas J. Cunningham, 2006. "The predictive power of the Senior Loan Officer Survey: do lending officers know anything special?," Working Paper 2006-24, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Cara S. Lown & Donald P. Morgan & Sonali Rohatgi, 2000. "Listening to loan officers: the impact of commercial credit standards on lending and output," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jul, pages 1-16.
- Teodora Paligorova & João A. C. Santos, 2012. "When Is It Less Costly for Risky Firms to Borrow? Evidence from the Bank Risk-Taking Channel of Monetary Policy," Working Papers 12-10, Bank of Canada.
- Cara S. Lown & Donald P. Morgan, 2002. "Credit effects in the monetary mechanism," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue May, pages 217-235.
- G. B. Gorton & Ping He, 2008.
"Bank Credit Cycles,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 75(4), pages 1181-1214.
- de Bondt, Gabe & Maddaloni, Angela & Peydró, José-Luis & Scopel, Silvia, 2010. "The euro area Bank Lending Survey matters: empirical evidence for credit and output growth," Working Paper Series 1160, European Central Bank.
- Ákos Bakonyi & Dániel Homolya, 2009. "Backtesting the efficiency of MNB’s Lending Survey," MNB Bulletin, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary), vol. 4(1), pages 6-14, May.
- Christian Beer & Walter Waschiczek, 2012. "Analyzing Corporate Loan Growth in Austria Using Bank Lending Survey Data," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 2, pages 61â80.
- Ewa Wrobel & Tomasz Lyziak & Jan Przystupa, 2008. "Monetary Policy Transmission in Poland: a Study of the Importance of Interest Rate and Credit Channels," SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 2008/1 edited by Morten Balling.
- Tomasz Åyziak & Jan Przystupa & Ewa WrÃ³bel, 2008. "Monetary Policy Transmission Poland: A study of the importance of interest rate and credit channels," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Paolo Del Giovane & Ginette Eramo & Andrea Nobili, 2010.
"Disentangling demand and supply in credit developments: a survey-based analysis for Italy,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
764, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Del Giovane, Paolo & Eramo, Ginette & Nobili, Andrea, 2011. "Disentangling demand and supply in credit developments: A survey-based analysis for Italy," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 2719-2732, October.
- John A. Weinberg, 1995. "Cycles in lending standards?," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Sum, pages 1-18.
- Alejandro Jara & Carmen Gloria Silva, 2007. "Metodología de la Encuesta sobre Condiciones Generales y Estándares en el Mercado de Crédito Bancario," Economic Statistics Series 57, Central Bank of Chile.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (William Perkins).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.