Chaotic dynamics and bifurcation in a macro model
AbstractThe qualitative dynamics of a discrete time version of a deterministic, continuous time, nonlinear macro model formulated by Haavelmo are fully characterized. Recently developed methods of symbolic dynamics and ergodic theory are shown to provide a simple, effective means of analyzing the behavior of the resulting one-parameter family of first-order, deterministic, nonlinear difference equations. A complex periodic and random “aperiodic” orbit structure dependent on a key structural parameter is present, which contrasts with the total absence of such complexity in Haavelmo’s continuous time version. Several implications for dynamic economic modelling are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis in its series Staff Report with number 55.
Date of creation: 1980
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-03-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sims, Christopher A, 1971. "Discrete Approximations to Continuous Time Distributed Lags in Econometrics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(3), pages 545-63, May.
- Klein, Lawrence R & Preston, R S, 1969. "Stochastic Nonlinear Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(1), pages 95-106, January.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Thomas J. Sargent, 1980. "Rational expectations models and the aliasing phenomenon," Staff Report 60, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Benhabib, Jess & Day, Richard H., 1982. "A characterization of erratic dynamics in, the overlapping generations model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 37-55, November.
- Nijkamp, P. & Reggiani, A., 1988. "Theory of chaos in a space-time perspective," Serie Research Memoranda 0029, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Michele Boldrin, 1988. "Persistent Oscillations and Chaos in Dynamic Economic Models: Notes for a Survey," UCLA Economics Working Papers 458A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1998. "Introduction to Market Psychology and Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 1-13, May.
- Caballe, Jordi & Jarque, Xavier & Michetti, Elisabetta, 2006.
"Chaotic dynamics in credit constrained emerging economies,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 1261-1275, August.
- Jordi Caballé & Xavier Jarque & Elisabetta Michetti, 2004. "Chaotic Dynamics in Credit Constrained Emerging Economies," Working Papers 121, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Jordi Caballe & Xavier Jarque & Elisabetta Michetti, 2004. "Chaotic Dynamics in Credit Constrained Emerging Economies," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 605.04, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Luís A. Aguirre & Antônio Aguirre, 1995.
"A tutorial introduction to nonlinear dynamics in economics,"
Textos para DiscussÃ£o Cedeplar-UFMG
td088, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Luis A. Aguirre & Antonio Aguirre, 1997. "A tutorial introduction to nonlinear dynamics in economics," Nova Economia, Economics Department, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil), vol. 7(2), pages 9-47.
- Kirkpatrick, Grant, 1984. "A continuous time cyclical growth model for the Federal Republic of Germany: Construction, estimation and analysis," Kiel Working Papers 219, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Mahajan, Arvind & Wagner, Andrew J., 1999. "Nonlinear dynamics in foreign exchange rates," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 1-23.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janelle Ruswick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.