Multiple safety net regulators and agency problems in the European Union: Is prompt corrective action partly the solution?
AbstractThis paper discusses the institutional changes needed in Europe if prompt corrective action (PCA) is to be effective in supervising and resolving cross-border banking groups. The paper identifies these changes starting with enhancements in the availability of information on banking groups’ financial condition to prudential supervisors. Next, the paper considers the collective decision making by prudential supervisors with authority to make discretionary decisions within the PCA framework as soon as a bank in a cross-border banking group falls below the minimum capital standard. Finally, the paper analyzes the coordination measures that should be implemented if PCA requires the bank to be resolved.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta in its series Working Paper with number 2007-09.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-06-11 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Holger Wolf, 2008. "Rethinking banking supervision in the EU," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 357-361, February.
- Banco Central Europeo, 2008. "La titulización en la zona del euro," Boletín, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(3), pages 136-149, Julio-sep.
- Kenneth Sullivan, 2008. "Presentación proactiva del desempeño," Boletín, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(3), pages 130-135, Julio-sep.
- Eisenbeis, Robert A. & Kaufman, George G., 2008. "Cross-border banking and financial stability in the EU," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 168-204, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Meredith Rector).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.