Produtividade Agregada Brasileira (1970-2000): declínio robusto e fraca recuperação
AbstractThis study explores the productivity performance of the Brazilian economy between 1970 and 1998. We assess how much of the TFP downfall can be explained by some departures from the standard procedure. We incorporate to the standard measure utilization of capacity, changes in the workweek of capital, services of capital from electricity consumption, relative prices distortions, human capital, and investment in specific technology. We conclude that the downfall in productivity is quite robust to those specifications. The only case that presents a marked difference from the standard TFP measure occurs when relative prices of capital are corrected. The implications of this finding are a topic for future research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil) in its series Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) with number 594.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Praia de Botafogo 190, sala 1100, Rio de Janeiro/RJ - CEP: 22253-900
Web page: http://epge.fgv.br
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Pedro Cavalcanti Ferreira & Roberto Ellery Jr & Victor Gomes, 2005. "Produtividade Agregada Brasileira (1970-2000): Declínio Robusto E Fraca Recuperação," Anais do XXXIII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 33th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 062, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- O54 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Latin America; Caribbean
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mussolini, Caio Cesar & Kuhl Teles, Vladimir, 2010.
"Infrastructure and productivity in Latin America: is there a relationship in the long run?,"
Textos para discussÃ£o
246, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Vladimir Kühl Teles & Caio Cesar Mussolini, 2012. "Infrastructure and productivity in Latin America: is there a relationship in the long run?," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 39(1), pages 44-62, January.
- Irineu E. Carvalho Filho & Marcello M. EstevÃ£o, 2012. "Institutions, Informality, and Wage Flexibility," IMF Working Papers 12/84, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Núcleo de Computação da EPGE).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.