Crescimento econômico secular no Brasil, modelo de thirlwall e termos de troca
AbstractExplaining the Brazilian economic growth performance during the 20th is achallenging task to academics. As shown, Brazil had already experienced faster growthand recently it is far from such belle époque. Most explanation lies on conventionalframeworks. This paper assesses the Thirlwall’s balance-of-payments constraint modelto Brazilian economic growth in the period 1900-2005, highlighting the importance ofthe terms of trade. The results show, first, that the terms of trade are significant in theestimation of import demand function and change the income elasticity, especially inthe first period of the sample (1900-1970), and, second, when the simplest Thirlwall’smodel is controlled by terms of trade, it seems that such variable is important throughexport growth, which cause changes in economic performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil) in its series Textos para discussão with number 206.
Date of creation: 16 Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Rua Itapeva, 474, 13o andar, CEP 01332-000, São Paulo - SP
Phone: 55 (011) 3799-3350
Fax: 55 (011) 3799-3357
Web page: http://eesp.fgv.br
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Holland, Márcio & Vieira, Fabrício de Assis C., 2008. "Crescimento econômico secular no Brasil, modelo de Thirlwall e termos de troca," Revista Economia e Sociedade, Instituto de Economia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP), vol. 33, pages 30, August.
- Fabrício de Assis C. Vieira & Márcio Holland, 2006. "Crescimento Econômico Secular No Brasil, Modelo De Thirlwall E Termos De Troca," Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 167, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- E01 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - Measurement and Data on National Income and Product Accounts and Wealth; Environmental Accounts
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-03 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marco Flávio da Cunha Resende & Daniela Almeida Raposo Torres, 2008. "National innovation system, competitiveness and economic growth," Textos para DiscussÃ£o Cedeplar-UFMG td325, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Núcleo de Computação da EPGE).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.