Impact of Tourism Consumption on GDP. The Role of Imports
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to analyse the effects of tourism consumption on imports. The basic idea is that conversion of tourism expenditure into value added and GP depends on the effect of the former on imports. Imports are leakages that reduce the economic impact of tourism in a destination and this seams to be especially important in the case of small islands. After finding some stylised facts about the evolution of tourism consumption and imports in the Canary Islands, the paper presents two different methodologies, Keynesian multipliers and input-output analysis. The Canary Islands are used as a case study for estimating the impact of consumption made by tourists on imports.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei in its series Working Papers with number 2004.27.
Date of creation: Feb 2004
Date of revision:
Economic impact; Imports; Keynesian multiplier; Input-output model; Canary Islands;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- R15 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Econometric and Input-Output Models; Other Methods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-07-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2004-07-18 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-GEO-2004-07-18 (Economic Geography)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sef Baaijens & Peter Nijkamp & Kees Van Montfort, 1998. "Explanatory Meta-analysis for the Comparison and Transfer of Regional Tourist Income Multipliers," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(9), pages 839-849.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.